Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#37652 Tue Jan 13 2004 06:56 PM
F
Fred Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hello,

If you would not mind, I need some help please to identify a pump from the 1940's I believe (sorry, but I am not in the digital camera world yet, so I do not have pictures to send).

I inquired to see if the owner would sell this pump which has been sitting out for years in its original location, and he said yes. However, the pump has been painted over completely (glass and all), so I am not sure what make/model it is.

From what I can best indicate, it may be a Bennett 541. It looks like the pumps at the Signal Gas Station in Portland, OR that are shown on this website. These are my questions:

-Is there any way to ID this pump accurately? Are there any other pumps which look like this pump that I might be mistaking this for? I looked it over hard, so that is why I think it might be a Bennett.

-The owner asked me to make him an offer, so I want to be fair and also see what the going rate for such a pump is. Condition of the pump: completely painted over (including glass); no hose or nozzle; some of the glass is broken or missing; body is in good shape (minor dent on one side).

This would be my first pump, so any thoughts/opinions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, and have a great evening!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Fred,
The Bennett 541 and 371 series look the same outside. The 541 has a angle iron frame, the 371 has a pipe frame. These pumps kinda look like the old cabooses with the viewing window on top. Currant value I have noticed is $500-$700, with no major damage to body. Don't worry about face or adv glass, site bowls should be in useable condition.
Dick
541 series has liftoff doors

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 01-13-2004).]

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Sounds like you need a copy of my Gas Pump Identification Book. You can get information on it at my website: www.crspub.com
If you pay by Paypal I'll get you a autographed copy in 3 days.
Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Fred welcome,
how many advertising glass windows?

order the book!!! this will only be the beginning. youll need that book/bible it will tell all!!!!!
you can pick out the pumps you want to own & highlite em! then go searching every free minute you have!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!

F
Fred Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thank you for the responses. It is much appreciated!

-Dick, thank you for clarifying between those two Bennett models. Since I am "green" in this area of pumps, I am not sure what liftoff doors are, but your description of the old caboose windows is right on target.

-Jack, I'll let you know about the book. I can see that it would be a great asset for this quest in identifying what I am looking at as well as any other pumps I want to identify. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

-Tom, to answer your question, the pump has four advertising windows (two longer/two shorter), one on each side at the top. Dick's description of it looking like the top of an old caboose is accurate. If I did spend every free minute looking for the pumps I would like, believe me, I would end up sleeping next to a pump instead of my wife, not by my choice of course, but my wife's choice

If the value is one of these unrestored is $500-700 as Dick said, what would each of you offer the owner for it? What would be fair to offer? That amount or something less?

A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
Those are nice pumps. I bet the market will keep going up on them too.
Value is a subjective word, what the value of that pump to the pump collectors is not the same value it has to the owner. I stopped and tried to buy a pump worth $300, old man wants $1000. So what is the value? Well, to him it is worth $1000, no one else would pay that. (I hope!)
So I would pay up to $500 for that pump. If it was me buying it I would try to get the seller to toss out a number. That can be hard, bottom line is that these are only worth what a seller will sell for and a buyer will buy for. He does not want to say $100 if you are willing to pay $700. In the same token, you don't want to offer him $500 if $50 would have made his day. These aren't things we can help you with, we can tell you how high to pay, but not how low to offer.
Try to work him with money in your pocket, see what you can do. In the end, no matter what you get it for, make him feel like he got the best deal.
Good luck...

I remember the good old days when gold was worth more than rust!
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Caboose, never heard that before. Some call them Lighthouses, in the prairies they call em Grain Elevators, call what you want!!
I would start around 300, and work from there. If he suddenly knows "book price" then up your offer. What he says after you offer sets the tone. Quite often they say they had lots of people asking, but sometime they all offer under 100 bucks!!

Just be fair and find out what else he has!!!

And be prepared to wait, sometimes it takes 3 or 4 years.. right T-Bone??

Also most ad glass is not worth a lot but if it is rare like Gilmore or Clipper it can be worth as much as the pump. Usually they paint over the outside of the glass and it will easily scrape off, but be carefull.

Hope you get it, get in the game and enjoy it.....dodogas

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
YOU GUYS MUST BE SMOKING TOO MUCH ETHYL OR BREATHING TOO MUCH PRIMER FUMES,,,,NO WAY DOES THE BENNETT 541 LOOK LIKE A LIGHTHOUSE!!!!
I SUPPOSE YOU ALL SEE WAYNE 60'S, TOK850'S FLOATING AROUND LIKE CLOUDS IN THE SKY.....LOL!!!!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE WEST

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
ha ha ha... I'd drop anchor for that island!
Land Ho!

I remember the good old days when gold was worth more than rust!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Fred,
After opening the doors on their hinges, the doors can be lifted off of the hinges to service the pump mech. On the earlier model 371, you had to un-screw the doors to remove from hinges for servicing the pump [pain in the %%% to get them back on correctly so that they lock up].

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have to agree with Dick about those hidges, but I must ad, All four ad glasses are the same size. If they are for sure different sizes on door vers. side on that pump, then it is not a 541 or a 371 Bennett.

Good luck. Start low on the offer, you can always go higher but never lower once you offer.

Rob

[This message has been edited by Gas Pump Rob (edited 01-16-2004).]

F
Fred Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Rob, thanks for the tip about the ad glass. I will measure to verify that they are all the same size. From my first glance, they appeared different, but I would not bet money on it.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback and advice, so thank you for taking the time to respond. I will probably make an offer this weekend or next, so I'll keep you posted. If I do get it, I will borrow someone's digital camera and post pictures so that the verdict of what this pump "officially" is can be established. Have a great weekend!

F
Fred Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hello,

About six months ago, I sought the assistance from you "Petrolina Pros" in regards to a pump I wanted to purchase. Finally, I have a way to send pictures of what I found on a busy street in Pasadena this past January. For $100, the owner allowed me to pull the pump from its original location and take the "gem" home. Due to time, I have not started restoring yet, but I hope to soon. Thank you all again for your assistance for helping me out!

Fred

P.S. Mr. Moderator, could you please post the pictures I send to you? I do not know how to do it. Thank you!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
yo fred: the bennett 373 looks just like the 371 and 541 and has four ad glass as well and like the 371 has a pipe frame. have you opened the doors to look??

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is Fred's pump.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved