Next Thread
Print Thread
#12931 Tue Sep 20 2005 09:53 AM
K
OP Offline
K
Hey, guys-
I wanted to float an idea by..
I am a member of a variety of car clubs and many of them have rosters of members which includes types and years of cars. Many of these clubs have websites with galleries showing members' cars with them classified in different types, years, etc.

As a relative newcomer to this hobby, I have made a couple of contacts with guys who have restored or are restoring a gas pump like mine. Those who I have "virtually met" have been generous with sharing pictures and information.

However, I have found in most hobbies that people often don't post an answer or share information because they don't feel knowledgable enough or "qualified," when in fact, they are.

If we had a gallery of pumps separated into brands, types, etc., we could go to the gallery and take a look at existing pump (restored, or not), and then (if the pump owner wishes to make the information available)be able to e-mail the owner directly if a person has specific questions.

I wouldn't think that direct e-mails would diminish the Shop Talk, but rather create another information source.

In restoring antique cars, it is often important to contact someone who has something that is exactly that same that you are working on. I'm sure it is the same with gas pumps, since there are often very subtle differences between pump types (like my Wayne Boyle-Dayton Division Cut 83.)

So, (without wanteing to overburden our webmaster)what you all think?

-Keith Townsend

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#12932 Tue Sep 20 2005 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think this link may be what you are talking about.
http://gaspumps.info/gallery/

I think oldtoydoc is working on it still. Some of your ideas may be able to be incorporated into this photo gallery. Hope it helps. ~jason

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

#12933 Tue Sep 20 2005 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The link Jason posted is to the gas pump album Jim Potts is building, and to the globe album I'm building. I believe Don Sherwood has built a similar album on his site.

I've got to tell you that these album require a tremendous amount of work to create. I don't think there is a way to set them up to contact the pump's owners like suggested.
I think the existing system of posting a question here on Shop Talk works well. Seems like most questions are answered.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#12934 Tue Sep 20 2005 08:51 PM
Hi Keith,
I like your ideas, but Bob is right about the time needed to build and maintain such a resource.

I have started a Gas Pump Gallery that has a gas pump section broken down into pump types and manufacturers. Bob is working on the Gas Globe section that is organized by oil company brands. We both wish we had more time to add the backlog of images we have gathered. We'll get there one day. http://gaspumps.info/gallery/

Don Sherwood wanted to expand on that idea and asked me to build a gallery for him to add to and maintain. His Vintagegas Museum is located here: http://www.vintagegas.com/

If you have a question about a pump, you can browse those galleries and see if a similar pump is there yet. When you view the image, right click it and copy the "Properties" so you can paste the image URL address into a Shop Talk topic to ask your question. Info on posting images is available by clicking on "Help!" on the lower left of most Oldgas Shop Talk pages.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved