Print Thread
#15336 Tue Dec 13 2005 05:02 PM
B
BLange Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Is this pump tag rare. The Standard Oil part, there is a tag on the other side with just the Bennett logo.

The other thing I have a question about is the sight glass, it looks like it held either a Standard oil sign or price sign? Not sure.

One more question on the top of the pump, there is a tube that sticks up. It looks like it has been filled in. Iv'e seen these on other pumps and they hold a price box, is that what this is?

Never had a Bennett 132, all new to me.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Always looking for SKELLY items.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#15337 Tue Dec 13 2005 07:59 PM
+
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
+
Brian , The Tag on mine say Underwriters Laboratory , I have not seen a Standard oil Company tag , but they could have seviced this pump and installed one of there tags,on your second Question,a couple of mine came with a Twisted wire and what looks like some sort of a lead seal on it ,I have know Idea what it was for , maybe a farmer had a bean plant wired up to the pumps at some time who knows , but on the last Question Yes it is for a pricer sign ,I bought 4 of these pumps a while back one of them had the pricer sign on it but the seller would not sell it with the pump, he wanted to keep it for some other pump, but it was bolted to that knob, if you look in the new 2006 Book by B J Summers and Wayne Priddy (value guide to GAS STATION MEMORABILLIA) On page130 they show one in Gulf advertising , its Identical to the one that was on the pump I bought although the one on my pump was real rough I can't even remember what company was on it, but the seller would not let it go with the pump . I don't believe I've ever seen another one for sale. I hope this helps

Chris Holt
#15338 Tue Dec 13 2005 08:58 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Brian. My guess is that the tag is some sort of inventory tag, issued by Standard Oil (Indiana).

Chris, that was a tamper proof seal. The only way to get inside whatever that was protecting, was to cut it. The wires were twisted so that the lead disc could not be slid off. The disc would have some sort of code on it, date, inspector, whatever. You can probably still find one like it on your electric meter. The disc had two holes that go through the sides, you would tie off whatever you were closing, slide the wires through the holes in the disc, then squeeze it with pliers or a stamp press on some sort. The wires could be cut, but then whoever insected/installed it, would know that it was tampered with...

[This message has been edited by Thunder (edited 12-14-2005).]

#15339 Tue Dec 13 2005 09:16 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I have a pair of Bennett 150s with the same Standard Oil tag on them. I don't think they are rare.

#15340 Wed Dec 14 2005 12:53 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Forget about the Standard Oil tags, as someome stated, they were probably just an inventory tag. What is on the Bennett (SSEC) tag is what is important. If you post that information we will probably be able to tell you what year ( and maybe what month) your pump was make.
I do want to say, that this is a nice find, it is one of my favorite pumps.
Jack Sim, Author, Gas Pump Identification book

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#15341 Wed Dec 14 2005 08:33 AM
B
BLange Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
No other tags on the pump. The last two pumps I've bought are by far my favorite, in my collection.The Bennett and the Bowser.

Thanks,

Brian

#15342 Wed Dec 14 2005 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Brad, These pumps were made specifically for Standard Oil and had a unique set of faces. Over the years most of them had the faces replaced with the 'standard' faces with the Bennett logo (or possibly the "SS" logo). Next time you're back in the Twin Cities stop by and I'll show you some original faces. The chances of me making those faces aren't real good since there is so little call for them.
Ron

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
#15343 Wed Dec 14 2005 02:55 PM
B
BLange Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Thanks Ron, as you can see, I'm going to need a few things from ya.

Brian

#15344 Fri Dec 16 2005 12:03 PM
B
BLange Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
I bought the book Cris Holt was talking about. The price sign that goes on the little nub on top of the pump, is nothing like what I thought it was going to be. I gotta make one, doesn't look to hard to make.

Thanks,

Brian

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved