Next Thread
Print Thread
#22437 Sun Mar 18 2007 03:33 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
Was scraping on my Tok 39 & after getting through several layers of Shell stickers....this one emerged ! pretty cool ! has anyone seen this ? would make a great globe ? Finished my second pump last night....did it in Phillips 66 just because ? turned okay but I think I should have went orange instead of black ! last is sign I picked up, dbl sided porcelain Mobil. 6 footer ! looks great hanging ! anyway if anyone has any input on the decal shoot me a post ! Tx Z

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#22438 Sun Mar 18 2007 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
cool decal z!i dont know naything about it,but its amazing how some of you guys can get those to come out so good after scraping off other decals.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
#22439 Mon Mar 19 2007 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...neat image - can you send me a good, hi-res photo of the decal? I'd like to try and recreate the artwork...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
#22440 Mon Mar 19 2007 09:31 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
Gulfiend, I wish I could.....that's about as good as it gets with my camera, I have an older Sony. Do you want me to try something else ? let me know. Tx Z

#22441 Mon Mar 19 2007 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...Steve - I suppose if you had a good friend with a color Xerox, who would let you put a pump door on the copy bed...! Believe it or not, I've actually done that - but I laid a sheet of Mylar down first, to keep the platen glass from getting scratched...it worked rather well...

...I guess it depends on how quickly you intend to restore that pump and blast the door...in the event you do not know someone with a higher-end digital camera who could shoot the decal and e-mail the pics to me (my inbox will take large files, sent one at a time), then I would suggest shooting MANY pics with your camera, in the manner which they use to shoot shipwrecks (take one close-up, move over a little, take another, until you have the entire image depicted in many photos that overlap), so I could 'tile' them together in my computer...actually, the close-up of the car is pretty good - if I could get enough shots of the whole decal from that range, I should be able to piece it all together...the only other thing I would need is a good description of what you see, that doesn't show up in the photos - it looks like their might be a red or something in the decal that faded before it was painted, or was more susceptible to the stripper...I know it's a pain, but at least this way the artwork could be saved...I've never seen that logo before...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
#22442 Mon Mar 19 2007 10:32 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
I'll see what I can do, I should be able to borrow a better camera from someone ! I dont think there was ever any red in the decal, what your seeing is "bad spots" where it was painted over and now is impossible to remove, same with the yellow area's you see ! so if I do do this and you recreate the image, you think we can get a run of decals, globes going ? I know I'd buy at least one....probably more !

ps: no worries on the restore, I'm actually going to leave as is, the stickers on the other side are Shell and in good shape, I've got a globe coming so I'm kust going to light it up and leave it alone !

#22443 Mon Mar 19 2007 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Is that a Dusenburg in the pic???
My brother has a toy car like that.
CLASSIC looking design on the decal.

Anyone know anything about the co.

Where is Wayne Henderson when you need him???
Speaking of Wayne....what is he up to these days???? Havent seen/spoke to him in ages.
Anyone got a ph.# for him....Email me
Thanks
Joe

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
#22444 Mon Mar 19 2007 06:50 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
Bump *** No more input on the decal ? just curious....thought someone would/could id it ? what's the "70" stand for ?
You cant see it in the pic's but along the bottom curve I can just make out the outline of "gasoline" if you look close at the last pic (close up of the car) you can barely see the outline of the "G" dont know if this was part of the original decal or added stickers that came off at some point ? anyway, thanks for the posts ! Z

#22445 Mon Mar 19 2007 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
70's probably the octane rating...

#22446 Mon Mar 19 2007 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
GASOLINE @ bottom of decal fits the curvature, so would have been part of. Probly in the same colors as GARDNER.
db

#22447 Mon Mar 19 2007 08:23 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
I thought that too Dick but noticed that the letters in Gasoline were a different shape than the Gardner, the "G" in Gasoline is much blockier ? is that a word ? than the "G" in Gardner....and also why would these be gone or faded when the rest of it is pretty decent ? I guess we may never know unless someone can come up with another pic ! Thanks for the posts ! Z

#22448 Tue Mar 20 2007 04:59 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Steve:

The word 'GASOLINE' was probably done in red - same as the interior stripes on the '70' numbers (you can just see them in the photo also).

As Gulfiend said, these old decals that featured red as a color had a tendency to have the red fade away before the other colors. Your stripper may have attacked that particular color more aggressivly than the other colors too.

If you are serious about wanting to do a run of these as lenses and decals - contact me. I'll offer Oldgassers the same deal as Seth did, if you can get approximately 20 people interested in a set of lenses (13.5" or 15") I'll do the art, the films and the screens for free and give everyone a reduced price on a set of lenses. Pricing will depend on the size you want.

Later . . .

Jim

#22449 Tue Mar 20 2007 12:47 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
Thanks Jim, your right, I didn't even notice the striping inside the 70, that and the "gasoline was probably faded before I scraped it ? I didn't use any stripper, it was done by hand with a razor knife.....you guys got better eyes than me ! anyway, I appreciate the offer and we'll throw it out there and see if there's any interest ? what would you need from me to start the process if we do get 20 oldgassers ? let me know. I dont know whether to start a new post or just see what kind of response we get here ? anyway, thank for the post and we'll see what happens ! Z

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved