Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I'm not really sure what to think of this. This Good Year sign is currently on ebay.

And here is a Socony Aircraft sign.

And here is another Socony sign.

What do you guys think? Real or fake?

Dave

[This message has been edited by Utahsignguy (edited 05-04-2007).]

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Oh yeah, here is a discusion about the differences in the Socony signs from a couple weeks ago.
http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum1/HTML/009234.html

Dave

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LAZY SIGN MAKER, COPY & PASTE ARTIST !

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I don't think the Socony sign controversy was resolved. I think the "RED" version of the Socony sign is a repop (first photo). In addition to the misspelling, note that the plane engine looks like a "blob". Poor artistic work on the graphics!! Bottom line...both the Socony and the GoodYear signs are fake. IMO

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I share the opinion that the "RED" Socony sign is fishy. Look at the significant differences in font, as well as the short arm of the red "F", and the interface between the tail of the plane and the "N."

This Goodyear sign has even less detail on the plane than the "RED" Socony. I'd be extremely skeptical.

Wes

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sophony

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I sure don't trust it, but there are a couple guys that like it. Ebay number 170105999120

Dave

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
The seller is from New Zealand but the sign probably came out of Australia. Many collectors are not aware that a lot of repops are now being made "Down Under". Some of the Aussie sellers will state upfront they are repops but others will state "date unknown" or simply imply it's an original. One well known established dealer sells both originals and repops but will let you know the difference only if you ask!!

Several of the Esso Elephant signs, including flanges, have been repopped. Also, most of the Eveready battery signs with graphics are repops. I'm sure the list of repops has expanded over the last few years.

Always beware!!

P
P
I have to agree with JimT.....it's Sophony!!

Richard

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
After purchasing this sign yesterday and realizing that I had made a big mistake I contacted the seller with the comparison of the two signs and told him I was not going to conclude the purchase. I think you will all apprecite his response and feel comfortable dealing with him in the future. See below.
"HI can you confirm that you will not purchase this sign and it will be withdrawn mutually before I go ahead with a apllication for a refund.I will not give negitive feedback!
I consider my reputation is worth more than a few thousand dollars,I had no intention to deceive any one with the description of auction. I will take full respondsiblity though.
thanks Dave

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved