Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#5088 Fri Jun 08 2007 07:57 PM
Oldgas Online Cool OP
OP Online Cool
I got word through John Cirillo that noted gas & oil historian Earl Ma has passed away from complications of cancer. His many articles for "Check the Oil!" magazine detailed facets of oil history that we may have never otherwise known.

Earl was a special person who had a real passion for petro history. His research and published articles have been a great resource for us.

I thoroughly enjoyed the visit I had with Earl in Honolulu in 2005. Earl shared local oil history as well as some travel tips for us that really helped. He had an upbeat way of talking that didn't hint at his serious health problems. He was only 36 years old.

Earl will be missed. I imagine he left a long list of unfinished projects that we all would have appreciated. My prayers are with his family and friends.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#5089 Fri Jun 08 2007 08:13 PM
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
Very sorry to hear of Earls passing. Although I never met Earl in person, we corresponded through the mail. I too always enjoyed reading his articles. Ed

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
#5090 Fri Jun 08 2007 08:14 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I was also saddened to hear of Earl's death at such a young age.

I didn't know Earl very well but he recently visited me in late April. He was here to cover the Champ Car race in Houston and visit his aunt. He viewed my sign collection and we talked about old gas station chains and topics in the hobby. Earl never let on that anything was wrong with his health.

The hobby will greatly miss him!!

Paul

#5091 Fri Jun 08 2007 09:24 PM
+
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
+
I to enjoyed Earls articles you would have never known that he had a problem, he will be truly missed by his family and his extended family here at Oldgas, My family will include him in our prayers, may he enjoy eternal life with the good lord

Chris Holt
#5092 Fri Jun 08 2007 10:44 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I am very saddened by the passing of Earl. While I have knowned him for a number of years, it wasnt't until this past year that we started working together. I helped him write the article that appeared in CTO on the DX stations. I also supplied him with all the items he used to write the article about the gasomat stations.
I am not stating these things to bring light to what I did, but to say that I thought I finally found a person I could help write the many articles that were available using my files of literature. I was ready to present him with another idea for an article when I heard this.
Earl was one of those people that slip througt a hobby, not making many friends, but making a great deal of infullance. His articles were well written because he did a great deal of research to make sure the fact were straight. Besides a few cans, he did not leave a building fill with pumps and signs, but he left us with a great deal of literature. Go back and read his articles, you will see, he did his reasearch. My kind of writer.
Jack Sim, Author, Gas Pump Identification book and Air Meter Identificaiton book www.petrilianacollectibles.com

[This message has been edited by Jack Sim (edited 06-09-2007).]

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#5093 Sat Jun 09 2007 05:36 AM
Oldgas Online Cool OP
OP Online Cool
Earl was an auto racing fan and writer as well. Check the eulogies on the Racing Press site.
http://www.racingpress.com/

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#5094 Sat Jun 09 2007 07:00 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I am sad to hear this as he stopped in back in January and interviewed myself and my dad for an upcoming article in CTO. For those of you that did not know him he was a super guy. Rich B

clockface pumps, Harleys, the Beach
#5095 Tue Jun 12 2007 01:44 PM
P
P
Someone posted a nice Earl Ma bio/tribute here: http://www.smackforum.net/showpost.php?p=23966&postcount=35

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved