Print Thread
#37318 Wed Sep 05 2007 02:20 PM
T
tagree0 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Hey folks, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Tom, a 35yo scientist from Dallas. I finally have a real job and have decided to put together my dream car garage. I have a few hotrods now and needed something to spruce up the garage. I got on eBay and immediately became addicted to petroliana.

Although the addiction is new, the love for old gas station stuff is not. When I was a teenager I bought an old Tolkheim pump and "restored" it myself. I acquired an original (hopefully) Mobilgas Special globe and then a matching shield (see below). I also bought a single Sky Chief lens.

Now the addiction has become severe. I just bought a 6' Texaco sign and am bidding on just about everything I see on eBay. Luckily I'm cheap and lose most of the auctions I bid on. I'm also a bit spooked about the fakes I keep hearing about. I limit myself to bidding on stuff people wouldn't likely fake (cheap and big).

On the way to picking up the Texaco sign, I ran into a guy with a large (6' maybe) Amlico sign, decent shape with no ring or post. I haven't been able to find much info on Amlico--is this something that would be a desirable piece? What would be a decent price to pay for this sign. It is in slightly worse shape than the one pictured here, but without the mount: http://www.gassigns.org/amlico.htm Not the coolest sign, but different.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself, and maybe get a little feedback on the sign.

Thanks, Tom

Tom
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#37319 Wed Sep 05 2007 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
welcome to oldgas tom!i don't know much about the sign,but someone here will.just wanted to say hi!!mick

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
#37320 Wed Sep 05 2007 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
welcome to oldgas tom!i don't know much about the sign,but someone here will.just wanted to say hi! pump looks nice!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
#37321 Wed Sep 05 2007 03:02 PM
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Tom welcome to the sight, great looking pump. American Liberty Dallas TX formed in the 1930's from oil holdings of the Murchison family, sold out to Fina in October 1957. The sign should be 72" used 1946-57. I'm no sign guy so don't know what it's worth. Richard

#37322 Wed Sep 05 2007 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Decent to one guy may be junk to another...

If it was close to the one in the picture I would pay $3-500 for it.

------------------
Scott Wright-
http://www.frontrangegas.com/powerine.htm

Scott Wright
#37323 Wed Sep 05 2007 07:34 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Just what we need--a mad scientist to join this crew! j/k If it gets tood bad for you as far as collecting stuff, there is always a 12 9/10 step program to keep the addiction at bay... Dave Folck

[This message has been edited by tallgye49 (edited 09-05-2007).]

#37324 Thu Sep 06 2007 08:49 AM
T
tagree0 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I don't need to "keep the addiction at bay" I need to get rid of my addiction to the Bay. I'm working on a one-step program--get fired for spending too much time on eBay when I should be working. That'll cure my addiction in a hurry.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm surprised the Amlico sign isn't worth more considering its rarity. I've got alot to learn about how to value things. In time.

Tom

Tom

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved