Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#160267 Mon Nov 16 2009 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Does anybody have one of these or does anybody out there have an idea on its value or exact history? I was told that the White star tells where it was used in the Ohio/Michigan area and that it is an early one because of the White Star. It has a "IP 33" on the bottom.

MOBIL SHIELD.jpg

Kris Strong
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Sign is 36" W x 42" H

Kris Strong
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Vacuum purchased White Star Refining Co in 1930 before the merger with Socony. White Star had stations in Ohio, Indiana and Michigan. A Vacuum/White star sign and later a Socony-Vacuum/White star sign was made from '30 to '34, later in '34 the White Star brand (along with Wadhams) were dropped for "Mobilgas and Mobilgas Ethyl" brands. Your sign would have been the Socony-Vacuum/White Star sign based on the marking of "IP 33". This info is gathered and comes from my Mobil Collectors Guide. If you have the guide page 14.

Sorry can't help with value and maybe my info hasn't been that much help, either. lol

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
That gives good info to support my thoughts, Thanks for the quick help.

Kris Strong
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
If the other side looks like this side I would put value at $750-$900 range. Cool sign smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...oh, I think your value would be more than that - I saw a much later Mobilgas sign like this sell for over $1000, a couple of times...this one is a better size IMO...

...the marking is probably 'IR 33', for Ingram-Richardson, 1933...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I couldn't tell if the IP was rubbed off but that would make sense. I have seen plenty of later signs go for 1500-2000. I was told that because this one is early and White star makes it much higher and rarer. I just didn't know how crazy of a price to a high end collectore. I surely don't want my wife to know its value bc I may not wake up in the morning or it may disappear and she may spend the proceeds at the mall:)

Kris Strong

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved