Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#174713 Fri Feb 12 2010 12:05 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I have been to this antique store which is in a town about an hour and a half from me twice now and have been meaning to ask you folks a question. He has a mobil clock, round pam style, which has no outer glass face. How can I tell if its original and what would it be worth. Its up on his wall and I have not asked him to take it down since I was unsure as to its authenticity. It does not appear that the inner advertising glass is marked at all so how would one know? Would they all have been marked pam? What would be a fair price if it was original? Thanks in advance for any information you can provide. Since now I am going back there next weekend I am sorry I never did take a picture. John

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Fueluser #174718 Fri Feb 12 2010 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
John---Go to waynesneonclocks.com and you'll be able to see all of the different parts that are available for these clocks without being marked reproduction. I can tell you this much that may be helpful. Take a look at the back and see that the clock movement is riveted on with old rivets and not some modern pop rivets or screws. Also look for a date on the clock movement and somewhere on the can itself, there should be a corresponding date. If these don't match, it only means that the movement was replaced at some time or another. Pam clock company made tons of these clocks for just about every company you can think of including liquor, aspirin, soda and etc. It is very easy to change out the glass face and rebrand it to whatever you want, including Mobil. Now, I'm not saying that the clock you found isn't original, just do your homework before you buy it. A really nice Mobil clock should be worth from $500 to $1000 depending on what you're going to be doing with it. If you can buy it for a couple hundred, it will look great on the wall and really won't matter if its original or not!! GOOD LUCK!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Fueluser #174719 Fri Feb 12 2010 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most I believe would have wording around the bottom edge with a date, you would not see it unless you took it down and looked closely. Beware of flaking paint on the horse and white background

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Fueluser #174720 Fri Feb 12 2010 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
USUALLY PAM CLOCKS WERE MADE LIKE GLOBE LENSES - FIRED FROM THE BACK OR SCREEN PAINTED FROM THE BACK. SOMETIMES THEY DO HAVE CODES AND THE PAM CLOCK NAME AND A DATE ON ONE OF THE LOWER CORNERS. I WOULD HAVE THE SELLER TAKE IT DOWN AND SHOW IT TO YOU. CHECK TO MADE SURE IT'S GOT THE PAM DECAL(S) ON THE BACK BODY ESPECIALLY IF IT'S A LIGHT UP CLOCK WHICH YOU DIDN'T SAY IF IT WAS OR NOT. THERE SHOULD ALSO BE A UNDERWRITER'S LABORATORIES (UL) DECAL USUALLY GOLD AND WATER SLIDE TYPE. IF THE FACE LOOKS JUST WAY TOO NEW THEN I WOULD STEER CLEAR. IF THERE IS SOME DIRT, GRIME, DEAD BUGS PRESENT....THEN YOU HAVE TO DECIDE FOR YOURSELF. WITHOUT A PICTURE, IT'S TOUGH TO TELL WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING AT HERE. I BELIEVE YOU CAN GET A REPLACEMENT GLASS DOME FOR THE CLOCK FROM WAYNE'S........

http://www.waynesneonclocks.com/history.html

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved