Next Thread
Print Thread
#193391 Mon Jul 05 2010 04:15 PM
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Hey all, Just got back all my skins from the body shop. Everythign went together pretty smooth. Until I got to the doors. I hung one door and it seems to be too high. It's not lining up with the locking mechanism. How can I raise or lower the doors to adjust this? Also what other tips or tricks help to get the fit right. Thanks-Eric

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Eric,
There are two arms to each hinge, make sure the flat top of the hinge arm is up, the angled edge faces down. Once that is correct leave the mounting bolts loose and check how the door aligns when you shut it, if it is ok then but when you tighten the bolts the door is back up then I have had to actually pry the door down a little to bend the hinges to get them to line up.
That's all I have ever had to do. Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Yep the hinges are the correct way. I also notice the door isnt level with the base. It's off by almost an inch?? Any ideas? Am I supposed ot just grab the door and twist?

E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Off by an inch from left side of the door to right side by an inch just to clarify that statement.

There are four mounting holes on each hinge mount on each door. You will probably have to move the hinge pins that hold the hinge to the door to a different hole to get it to align properly.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Ryan, Yep tried that as well. I did all the common sense stuff, it's still off quite a bit. Seems as if something didnt go back together correctly but I copied my other m&s 80 to a T and it's looks square and everything looks perfect. However I bought this pump all apart....it was a restoration 1/2 done so I never really got to see it together in the first place.

Did you try the upper holes offset from the lower holes too? Maybe the pump is twisted, can you try to loosen the frame rails at the base and top and twist the pump?

E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
OK Now you lost me...lol. Upper holes to lower on what exactly?? Unfortuantly this is my first pump resto and when I bought this one, it was 1/2 restored with all the skins off and the frame primed and put together. what screws exactly would I have to work with to try this fix? It looks straight but has to be twisted a bit. So with it all together can I attempt to loosen these bolts or???

I have had pumps in the past that used the "holes to the right" on the top hinge, and the "holes to the left" on the bottom hinge, or vise versa.

If you think the cabinet is twisted, you will have to remove the top, loosen the side panels, loosen the frame rail to base fasteners, loosen the computer mount fasteners at the frame rail, and loosen the fasteners that hold the top frame work together. You will then have to give it a shift and snug up some of the fasteners and refit the doors. Repeat until everything fits well.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Eric,
Ryan has given you some great tips, the only thing I can add is to try this:
Have someone hold one of the doors up to the pump exactly where you want it...without any hinges attached....then look thru from the other side and see where the hinges are in relation to their mounting holes on the door. With this info you should be able figure out what adjustments need to be made. Sometimes you have to be creative...whatever works...bend here...tweak there....hog a hole out...
Ryan's best advice is to leave everything loose, then check the fit and tighten accordingly.
Hope you get it soon. Sometimes the best plan is to walk away and come back another day.
Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved