Next Thread
Print Thread
#336015 Sun Jun 24 2012 10:10 AM
L
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
L
First let me start out by saying I don;t have a mast collection. My goal is to some day be the owner of orginal Pierce Pennant,which do to limited funds may or may not happen. Something I seen in the for sale section here on Oldgas really was upsetting to me. Someone offered to split a globe. Sending one lens to east coast one to west coast,too make it more afordable for buying. Not posting to start a full blown argument,but would like to hear your thoughts. Mine is too break up a set of orginals is a no no.

My questions
1 Is this done a lot.
2 Collectors of globes is this really perserving petro.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Loyd Pierce #336020 Sun Jun 24 2012 10:15 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I'm not a globe collector - but I see the same thing in porcelain neon signs. Sometimes two halves (single sided sign) are worth more than a whole. Not always the case, as some "purist" original sign collectors are upping the ante to buy good original 2 sided signs on original can, etc. To me, it's always up to the owner/seller what they want to do with their merchandise - but I do share your sentiment that it's a shame to split a great old sign/globe in half for good.........

Loyd Pierce #336023 Sun Jun 24 2012 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They split them up all the time, just to make am more affordable I agree with you. I like my globes with two original lenses, But like you not always possible due to lack of funds. And their always the argument that you only see one side any ways.

HI-OCTANE #336029 Sun Jun 24 2012 10:48 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I personally would have a tough time separating an original pair, as normally they have been together for years. I come from the "one side is all you see" crowd that HiOctane mentions. I am happy with a single as it is a less expensive way to collect globes. I would always be on the lookout for a second lens to complete a set, but I'm perfectly content with a single in my collection.
On a side note I think this is absoulutely a way of preserving RARE globes. As I stated, while I personally would leave a set together, if it were a SUPER rare globe, it might someday be a blessing if a set were separated. Accidents do happen, and sometimes to rare pieces or whole collections. If a rare pair were separated, instead of losing the set, the loss to the hobby would "only" be one lens.
When you are talking globes that maybe only 10 complete globes are known, would it be better for only 10 collectors to be the keepers of the globe, or possibly 3 of them separated so 13 collectors could preserve them? Just a thought....
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
DWSheffer #336096 Sun Jun 24 2012 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very well said Darin

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
s932 #336116 Sun Jun 24 2012 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Like Darin and Loyd, I could never personally break-up/separate a globe, neon sign or oil bottle rack. That is because we are collector's and are driven by our desire to enjoy and preserve petroliana.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved