Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#341250 Fri Jul 13 2012 02:32 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
This may seem like a strange topic, but I thought it would be good for some friendly discussion.

I am a Customer Service Supervisor by trade, and have been for 3+ years now. So, needless to say, I am pretty picky about customer service. Whether it is my bank, the cashier at Wal-Mart, or a seller or collector.

I am 70% collector, 30% reseller, as I think a lot of us are. A true "picker," I believe, will love the hobby enough to do some of both. Most of the people I know are in the 50/50 range on buying/reselling. I've only been in the hobby about 3 years, so I am still so in awe of some of the stuff I get I keep more of it than I should.

I think most of us, being responsible adults, wouldn't take away from our families to sustain a hobby. So I bet we supplement our money for this hobby by selling some of our "good deals" we find.

Now this brings me to my thought. I am not a seller, so I don't have to always cater to someone to get them to make a purchase. I'm not a buyer, so I don't always have someone catering to me to get me to make a purchase. I am caught in between. I have to show my friendly side to sell, and I expect to be treated well when I buy.

How much better do you think our hobby would be if we consistently considered the person on the other end of the deal? Since I have been here, I have met people on both ends of the spectrum. I have been PM'd by some of the friendliest people (one of which has convinced me to travel to Alabama for a gas show), and some real rough people. Very condescending, and, in my personal opinion, they think because they have been on here longer or possibly know more I am below them.

Thankfully, my first 3 acquaintances in this hobby (Jon, Chris, and Rick) have been the consummate meaning of friendly. They have never hesitated to teach, guide, advise, etc. etc. I think if we actually gave more thought into how we approach each other in the business, it could only help.

I'm certainly not saying this because I have hard feelings, but it is just an aspect of the game I haven't seen discussed here. You never know, considering this might lead to your next great lifelong friendship or next great honey hole.

Eddy Smith
Call or Text: 678-232-4637
E-mail: eddysmithjr@gmail.com
Always looking for pump plates or small signs!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Here's Your Sign #341263 Fri Jul 13 2012 03:28 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Always took the approach of treating folks the way you'd want to be treated. Usually works fine. There are some days that it doesn't but those times are small in comparison. Remember, your word is your bond.....it's the only thing that you have. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Here's Your Sign #341264 Fri Jul 13 2012 03:33 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Well, Eddy, I can understand where you're coming from. I just like to follow the Golden Rule; treat others in the way you want to be treated. For me, I have communicated with some real stand-up people on Oldgas. Very konwledgable, open, helpful, and honest. I have yet to have a negative experience (not to say that it couldn't happen, though).

Considering our electronic age of texts, e-mails, PM's, and such, it's easy for some to feel bold about what they anonymously write. I feel that these electonics forms of communication have taken away the art of face-to-face communication. Meaning, that we're losing the knowledge on how to talk to each other. But, in may be just a simple matter of interpretation. Sometimes the way a person writes might come out in a way that someone would take offense. That may not be their intention and it somehow comes across wrong. Others may just be rough around the edges and you just take them how they are. Again, maybe they don't mean to hurt any feelings. Just keep in mind that no one can push your buttons but you.

But, I'm with you. Good customer service is a matter of respect and common decency. As with anything else, as something like this site grows, you're going to get all kinds of people from many different types of backgrounds. You take the good along with the bad. Hopefully, you run into mostly good and keep them close to you.

Ron Cabanayan #341321 Fri Jul 13 2012 07:10 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

Kyle DeKoning

Lost Highway #341323 Fri Jul 13 2012 07:22 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Lyle thanks for exemplifying the type of ludicrousness I was talking about. That sign is why I joined this site. I've had numerous people tell me that is a legitimate pump plate and many tell me it wasn't. The item sold before I receive approval to join and I still believe it is an authentic piece. The guy I bought it from is the same guy that I have bought all my signs from, which you can obviously see are unquestionably authentic.

If you search eBay there are numerous signs just like that selling for good money, whereas most repops top out at $100 tops. Either way I was referred here as a source of more info and have repeatedly encountered asinine people such as yourself.

Eddy Smith
Call or Text: 678-232-4637
E-mail: eddysmithjr@gmail.com
Always looking for pump plates or small signs!
Here's Your Sign #341328 Fri Jul 13 2012 07:42 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Its fake. 19.95 repro

Kyle DeKoning

Lost Highway #341329 Fri Jul 13 2012 07:43 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Fantasy* not repro

Kyle DeKoning

Lost Highway #341336 Fri Jul 13 2012 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There is a seller out of GA, making a killing on these signs... Checking the completed auctions, the guy is selling them pretty much daily for between $80-$180.....

A lot of people are going to be hurt when they find out they bought a fake....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #341353 Sat Jul 14 2012 01:23 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You can fool some of the people some of the time. But you can't fool all of the people all of the time. You're not going to fool us...you are only fooling yourself.

That sign is a fake. That is a fact. The sooner you accept that and admit it. The better it looks on you. By denying the truth, you are losing respect and credibility. This is a small community and once you burn your bridges here there is no turning back.

If you are here to learn, then listen!

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Sat Jul 14 2012 01:45 AM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Dave's Garage #341357 Sat Jul 14 2012 03:54 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ed, just because other people get sucked in by repops doesn't make your sign authentic. Calling out veteran collectors after being a member on oldgas for nine days isn't going to go over too well here either.Calling a respected member asinine and ludicrous isnt a swift move,IMO either. Obviously you are an enthusiastic newer member.-Thats great. By reading your descriptions on e-bay you come across as kind of a guy who feels like he knows a lot about the hobby. But just like in the real world you have "tells" that show thats just is not so. Either you have been misinformed or are being deceitful. I believe in giving the benefit of the doubt and lean toward the misinformed. Just because you have a few signs that arent reproductions, doesnt make your sign old either. Thats how its done, by the way. Guys mix fake signs in with old signs. A newer collector thinks "This must be old, everything else he has is!" All that Oldgas members(and people in general) have to go on is what they see. There are members here-quite a few of them- who are passionate about this stuff. Repros being described as authentic and sold to unsuspecting buyers is a topic that has been discussed, and frowned upon, on here many, many times. I would say most(95%+) seasoned collectors could tell you that plate is new from 40 feet away.-Jumping up and down, and trying to rally comrades isnt going to make it old either. IMO,Its up to you to contact that buyer and let them know they bought a reproduction that was described incorrectly, unknowingly, by you. If not, you are funding your collection dishonestly. Believe me , I'm 52 years old and have made plenty of mistakes throughout my life. One thing I have learned is ,it takes a long time to gain respect and creditability and only one bad decision can ruin it.
I remember how lit on fire my wife and I were when we first got involved with this stuff. We jumped in with both feet and made lots of mistakes. Sometimes when you come crashing in, you step on some toes... It happens.

Last edited by JimT; Sat Jul 14 2012 04:26 AM.
JimT #341383 Sat Jul 14 2012 08:26 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Def. repro

Don't kill the messenger...

That is one way to get educated in this hobby...and education is usually expensive...good luck

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved