Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
What needs to be changed at the bigger shows so everyone is treated fairly? I heard alot of grumbling about guys not being able to start setting up in their spots even when they had paid in full. Its a touchy subject but needs to be discussed.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You'll NEVER please Everyone @ Any time.

P
P
Sounds pretty simple to me. The show promoters provide the venues for the shows and set the rules. The vendors know the rules in advance (generally) and should live with them. If they're not happy they certainly can express themselves directly with the promoters. If everyone knows the rules and they're enforced consistently, there is no "unfairness". If a vendor's not happy he/she can always try to sell their products elsewhere.

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Paid in full or not, If a show starts at 7 a.m. it starts at 7 a.m. some venues do not have the option of accessing the area earlier.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Actually, the vendors are what pull the people through the gate. Without quality vendors willing to do the show, you got nothing! Everyone knows of a swapmeet that has deteriorated over the years. The only reason for this, the quality of vendors are not going to the show any longer.

If the show is not providing something to draw the attendance.....you have NOTHING

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Unsure if this post pertains to certain show or incident. My comments are based on my experience with shows.

When I was doing shows, I didn't like doing business with show organizers/promoters who somehow felt they were doing me a favor and somehow I owed them. This misconception clearly illustrates their lack of understanding.

The show organizers and vendors have to work together as a team. Both of their success is dependent on each other. If one doesn't do their part, they will both suffer. If the vendors don't show up with quality items then the show suffers. If the show is not organized and promoted well then the vendors will suffer. Their success is dependent upon the other.

As vendors it is quite apparent when a show organizer is "on board" and treats his vendors as the asset that they are. Some organizers wrongly see their vendors as a burden, or individuals that can't be pleased. That kind of mindset is to the detriment of everyone involved. It's attitudes such as that, that invoke feelings of resentment and ultimately effect everyone.

As attendees it is quite apparent when there is no tension between the organizers and vendors as that presence of mutual respect can be sensed by everyone. It sets the tone and mood for a great show.

To simply say rules are rules and that's it... Seems a little heavy handed and near sighted. There has to always be a conduit for open communication. It is through this open communication that we can improve on things which in turn guarantees continued growth and success; for everyone.

Have to always consider the big picture. No vendors = No show. No show = No vendors. Important to work together as partners with a vested interest in each others success.

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Wed Sep 26 2012 08:51 AM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Pegasus
Sounds pretty simple to me. The show promoters provide the venues for the shows and set the rules. The vendors know the rules in advance (generally) and should live with them. If they're not happy they certainly can express themselves directly with the promoters. If everyone knows the rules and they're enforced consistently, there is no "unfairness". If a vendor's not happy he/she can always try to sell their products elsewhere.

...I agree...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'll chime in here about my recent Pomona experience. I hadn't sold there in several years and decided I'd go ahead and head out on a Saturday morning with a truckload of stuff. I hadn't reserved a spot so the routine is you get in line and first come first serve simple deal. Everyone in line was approached by what appeared to be several recently released inmates who had arrived earlier, got their numbers and would sell you a good spot at a higher price. Not cool. That's ok, my bad for not reserving. Next time I'll know. We set up and had a good day Saturday. Common thing at Pomona was that people would ride their bicycles and scooters around Saturday and during the night as the place is huge and it's just part of the atmosphere. New rule... none of that is allowed anymore ! I did see security enforcing it from time to time. I'm guessing little Johnny got hurt and somebody got sued...maybe somebody here knows what happened. Then, at about what I think was 1 a.m. , a group of tweakers showed up and blasted their music as they set up ..partying all night. No security to be seen. I think as our society deteriorates and common sense slips out the window,this stuff is just going to become more the norm, but I do think there could be a little better overall balance in the way things are handled . I know it takes a lot to run a show like that, but with the price of entry and concessions I'm certain they have the resources to do it. I shot them an email and did get a call from a guy that was real nice and apologetic..so I do appreciate that, and I will go back.. I'll just reserve, not bring a bicycle, and remember my ear plugs. There.. I'm done with my rant.. Wait, no I'm not.. I also want to say that I really miss the guy that had all the hit and miss motors that would sit there and pop and smoke as you walked in

Last edited by ironheadtom; Wed Sep 26 2012 09:43 AM.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Some thoughtful posts by both ironheadtom and Dave.

Indeed if wasn't for good promoters we wouldn't have large advertised shows to pull in new blood. However, long time promoters need to stay on top of trends and not just rely on the same vendors and same collectors. Sadly, some of the shows I've been to(not just gas/oil) don't get local Radio & TV stations involved to get the word out about the show, instead relying on mailing lists and just a newspaper ad and maybe mention online on sites like Oldgas.

Conversely, without committed vendors it's hard for a promoter to shuck out the bucks for a location, security, advertising, etc. And in all fairness, shows I've gone to tend to spell out pretty fair guidelines for setup & safety.

I think where some shows fall short is that even with a well thought out show, if the hired help isn't as invested in the show they may fall short or even shirk their duties (like making the music players shut off their tunes.) That's where vendors speaking up during the show directly to the promoter will help, rather than after the fact when apologies are the only recourse.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I believe the post started with a question on not being able to set-up when you want to after paying your vendor fee.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
To be a bit sarcastic, If you pre-pay for a spot it doesn't mean you can setup 7 days, 20 days, or 2 months before a show does it?

You have to follow the directions the sponsor of the show gives. If they are inconsistent between vendors then there would be an issue. However, if they don't let anyone setup until a specific time then it isn't unfair. Remember, some venues only allow access based on their policies and local statutes which may restrict the hours.

Perhaps the OP issue is vendor setup time versus public entry onto the field. If vendors all enter a 7am and the gates open at 8am then a vendor has 1 hour to setup. If one vendor who hasn't prepaid has 50 items and one who has prepaid has 500 it's the vendor who has chosen to be burdened themselves with longer setup times.

I've seen plenty of large vendors who have their act together and can be setup in an hour and small gate registered vendors who are still putting stuff out midway through the day. And I've also seen plenty of prepaid spaces not occupied until the second day of a multi-day sale.

I know at one show the sponsor has changed his rules to not have setup for specific reason. It's to protect the quality of the show for buyers and vendors who travel great distance to come to the show. Not every vendor can come in 1-2 days before the show and be setup the day before, should they be penalized even if they too have prepaid?

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I totally agree with your first sentence. set-up time is set-up time period.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved