Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have always wondered why they made some of the ms 80 standard co. gas pumps with a tall base and what purpose they had in mind by raising pumps taller?

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Actually, you need to reverse yerself . Gasoline pumps for the most part were as tall as they were , ( six feet ) because the actual pump unit was within the cabinet . Now that changed when people like Red Seal were able to devise a way to make a submersible pump . That allowed pumps to become in the words of "Detroit " , lower, wider .

Martin and Swartz , then in Maryland was also responsible for actually doing some of the "Cut Down " pumps you saw from them in addition to their original M & S 80's . There were jobbers locally who also did these conversions on Tokiem 39's too. The Manufactured 39's made shorter were referred to as a Tokiem 39- L . Same went with Gilbarco who had just changed itself from being the Gilbert And Barker Pump company . Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
That some neat and interesting information , and I never realized that, but I have seen the Tokheim 39,s in short and long versions as well like you said. Greatly appreciated . Thanks Ed.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Glad ta help............... Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved