Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
OP Offline
E
Hello all. We are new here and I hope I posted this in the correct area. We are not pump collectors. However, back in the 1980's we found a pair of ESSO Gilbarco 996's in a small town my Father grew up in. Back then they were being used in a cement yard for their trucks. In Canada all pumps were replaced when we switched to metric. So, many pumps were used privately. However, the yard bought even newer pumps and sold the pair to me. At the time the manager told me the pumps came from the ESSO station in town and that the station owner kept the two globes.
Naturally I decided to go and see the man. When I pulled up to the station, I could see both globes on display in either window of the front door. I told the man I had bought his old pumps and would love to have the globes to keep with them.
The man laughed and said "many have asked to buy these from me. I will take them home when I retire". That was 24 years ago
Every time we would go near there I would stop in to ask about them. Then one trip we saw the station was closed and empty. I was able to find the owners home number (thank goodness for small towns)and called him. The man said " I owned that station since 1947 and closed it and retired. I will install the globes with lights in my driveway". I told him that may not be a great idea. However, they were his to do what he wanted.
After some years I called him out of the blue. The man said" I'm sorry I could not reach you (We had moved) and decided not to mount them in the driveway. So, I donated them to our local museum". I asked if he could try and get them back. However, he thought that was not the right thing to do.
I now was faced with dealing with a museum. So, I told them what had happened, etc..
After many years I received an email from the curator last week. "If you are still interested in these globes. We would consider a small donation as we can not see displaying them like this".
Of course I raced up there a few days later and got them.
Although we had the pumps restored back then and even bought "repro" globes from a place called Weber's. We have decided to leave the globe body's as is.
Maybe, I could ask one of you an opinion. One set of lenses was never install properly and we are not sure how risky it is to release the ring wire??. I have also added a pic of the actual station circa 1972. It is now an empty lot.

ESSO Gas Pumps  With Repro Globes(2).jpg ESSO Gas Pumps  With Repro Globes(3).jpg ESSO Globes (2).jpg ESSO Gas Station.jpg
Last edited by esso guy; Sat Mar 30 2013 03:54 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great story and glad you got the globes after all these years.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wayne you have a good looking pair of globes with an excellent story.

Personally I would leave the lenses as they are... In many instances one will find images of globes in use; Where a lens is not perfectly straight in the globe body....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Persistence pays off. Congratulations.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I cant help you with your globe question because I am not a seasoned collector but your story is way to cool , and love the pics, thanks.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Thanks for posting your story. It was a fun read.

E
OP Offline
E
Thank you for the kind words and opinions on the globe lenses. The main reason why I asked about them is..... one is installed half in and half out of the ring spring. Although I'm sure this has been like this since new.....I just makes me worry having part of the lens edge on the outside of the steel retaining ring. My Wife thinks if I release the side that is over the glass it will cause pressure on the other side that is below the lens. Even if just for a second. I have only played with (in the 80's) the two repro ones. I have never handled any originals. I would be sick to have it crack after all this time of protection and then "I" come into play.
Also, when I bought the repro globes I had to change the bezels to 6". These need 7" bezels and I hope I can find them
In fact, the globes have now inspired me about another issue. My blue & white pump has two Steel decorative strips on the doors. For some reason they put three strips that have the center hole to lock the door. That hole is needed on the red & white pump...not the this pump. The doors lock from the side body panel.
Now I decided to find three of the correct strips. On line I see there are some that have a center screw and nut. Mine are not like this. Mine have a screw (right though) on either side.
Is anyone making them like this or is there anyone that would consider a trade (or whatever) for the three I have??. Any help would be great. Sorry, not sure I can ask here...??. Here pics of the globe lens. I hope they make sence. Here is one of the doors. The bottom strip is correct and I need three just like it. I wonder why the factory used the other type??.
Wayne

100_1167.jpg 100_1168.jpg 100_1169.jpg
Last edited by esso guy; Sat Mar 30 2013 04:27 PM.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B

Probably your best bet with the globes is Scott Benjamin in Ohio. Contact him through gasglobes.com. He may be able to walk you through it over the phone. Or tell you to leave them alone because of your story.

Beautiful pumps, globes, and station they came from. Great story and welcome to oldgas.com

Doug

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice pumps and a great story!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
very nice, with a little history.. cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Excellent story and thanks for sharing. Happy Easter.
Mike

E
OP Offline
E
Just an update.....I was able to speak with Scott. Thanks for the contact. Scott has told me that he would have the lens placed and set correctly. Of course for him..."a few minute job". However, he has had a lot of experience....ha ha.
Now I just need to gather up the courage to do it.
Scott did tell me something interesting. Since these globe lens are 16.5" in diameter, they are not originally from our 996's. In fact, Scott said the globes are earlier and from the 20's-30's. He and I talked it over and the assumption is the station owner may have kept these globes when the pre-996 pumps were replaced. Both the 996's have a 1950 date. The man bought the station in 1947. So, when he upgraded in 1950 he re-installed these globes on these pumps.
These globes may have been on visible pumps originally...???.
Of course this is all just an assumption but, it makes sense.
In the station photo (1972), you can see newer, smaller pumps. Canada went metric in 1975. So, the pumps in the photo must have replaced the 996's we have......???.
Thanks again to the member(s) that provided us with Scott's contact.

Wayne

E
OP Offline
E
Hello all again. My Wife and I decided to go for it and re-seat the one lens. To our surprise....it was not too hard and is now seated much safer. We did noticed that the lens or metal body are not 100% true. Removing the lens gave us the opportunity to give the lenses a good cleaning. They sure were dirty inside from age.
I also placed (temporarily)the globes on our pumps. Maybe they look a little too big....???. Here is a better pic of the globes now they are cleaner.

100_1182.jpg 100_1183.jpg ESSO Gas Pumps With Globes (3).jpg ESSO Gas Pumps With Globes (4).jpg
Last edited by esso guy; Fri Apr 05 2013 12:13 PM.
E
OP Offline
E
I thought we should also add the only other gas item we own. We found this back in the 1980's and had it restored at the same time the pumps were. The station owner that gave this to us also gave us the factory manual he had for it.Here are the manuals he gave us.

Air Pump.jpg Gas Manuals (1).jpg Gas Manuals (2).jpg
Last edited by esso guy; Fri Apr 05 2013 12:25 PM.
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
you lucky DOG!! Good for you!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved