Next Thread
Print Thread
#686811 Mon May 15 2017 05:32 PM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
So today Owen (LOWright) sent me a picture of a new sign he acquired. It was a great and interesting pleasure to see it. It is the first picture in this post, and a sign I have never seen before.
Not remembering having ever seen this black version of the caduceus before, my first thought was fake, until we found pictures of the same graphic on some bottle racks. This at least brought some legitimacy to things. I went through my archives and found a couple bottle racks with this graphic, but unfortunately didn't have a picture of the sign.
So I/we can only assume it's a lubester sign. But when did they stop using lubesters? I've seen several of the oil can rack signs shown to the left in the B&W picture, and I own one, and all I have seen are dated 1946. So that would place this version of the graphic from Owens sign in the later 40's. Or at least likely the 40's depending on how long that bottle rack has been in service.
Just looking for thoughts on the sign.
Owen does not have the sign in his possession yet. I look forward to finding out what color the back is.

IMG_2731 (2).jpg 5f74986fe67a6aef9405fcf774bae693 (2).jpg dsc_0867.jpg
Last edited by Steven C.; Mon May 15 2017 05:40 PM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Truck door sign, in my opinion. Alot like the Sinclair signs that were on the back of tanker delivery trucks.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved