Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Hi, Gang. A 14-year-old young man named "Grant" came by my space at Iowa Gas with his dad. Dad doesn't collect our treasures, but Grant does. The family is from Iowa.

This young fellow saves his birthday and Christmas money throughout the year, and then attends Iowa Gas to buy a few things for his collection. He was a joy to work with!

I want to send him a few no-charge goodies to encourage his further interest in the hobby. BY CHANCE, does anyone know Grant and his family? I am looking for a phone number, so I can get Grant's mailing address. Please do not post any info here. Instead, please PM me with any help. Thanks, Gang. John

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
John, I would love to do the same so if you can find out his interests would you pm me the info and address. Id like to put a package together also. John

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I was Jolly's room mate at IG and he is a great guy.

Jolly, anyone, let me know the address, I have a large box with small items that are not worth trying to sell. I'll put them all in a Priority box and send them to him.

Jolly, did he enter your booth with his father and a brother, if so, he was in our room one of the nights?

Good work Jolly,

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Fri Aug 11 2017 04:16 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Thank you, John (Fueluser). I'll be sure to let you know, if I find a way to contact young Grant.

And, hello to you, Jack. I miss you already!!

It was nothing short of great to be rooming with you at Iowa Gas. I appreciated your conversation and companionship throughout the meet. I learned a lot about the hobby from you in a few short days. AND, it was great to have all the guys coming by our room in the evening to meet you in person. You are, indeed, "the Famous Jack Sim". Best regards to you, my friend.

A quick note about Grant, Jack...no, he didn't stop by us for room swap. It was just him and his dad hitting the swap meet on Thursday. John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Fri Aug 11 2017 07:06 PM.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Jolly, I want to tell you and the rest of the guys who attended this past IG that I had a great time. As I have mentioned above, I was at the second IG and probably over 25 shows after that. All of these were getting there early, setting up, working hard, having little time to relax. Well this was nothing like that, after a straight thru drive from St. Louis, the first morning I slept till almost 12 in the morning. At my age I wasn't buying anything, just wanted to be with the guys. I brought with me 60 cans of Bud to give away to kind of thank everyone who has ever purchased one of my books. I just wanted to have fun. Had a great time talking with many of the both old and new to the hobby. Of course I was filled with stories about the early days of IG, and of course the stories of all the items I found early in the hobby.
To Jolly, every time I asked him if he knew someone I knew in Wisconsin, he would say yes and we would talk about him and we would talk about all the shows that he and I had ever attended. I would like to brag a little as to for a number of years I was attended 22 shows per year, almost one every two weeks.
I don't intend to just disappear, actually this past show makes me want to be sure I am there next year. Jolly, you really helped me to enjoy this past show, thanks again.

While I was there I took a lot of pictures which I will post soon, also, I actually purchased something, you are going to have to wait a few days before I tell you about it.

To Jolly, thanks again.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
PM me his address. I have a couple old oilers and such that I can send him.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Hey, Jack. It sounds like you could be game for an Iowa Gas encore performance next year. I'll be in touch with you, my friend.

Thanks for your kind offer posted above, Steve. But....I have yet to track down a last name and address for young Grant. I believe he and his dad drove to Iowa Gas from the southeastern part of Iowa....possibly Muscatine.

Still hoping to get a way to contact the family. Postings on this thread and a number of PM's I've received indicate a lot of goodies would be coming this young man's way, courtesy of very generous Old Gassers who want to encourage his interest in our hobby. John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Sat Aug 12 2017 07:07 AM.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved