Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
First off I AM NOT A GLOBE GUY...
I bought this globe from an older gentleman in Escanaba, Michigan maybe fifteen years ago. He claimed it came from the old closed Buick dealer in town. I am sure the body is original Capco, but not sure about the lenses. There are no dates or markings.
Can anyone tell me how to tell either way?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Okay, does anyone know if the EVER made Buick globes??
I don't see one in Scott's CD

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Okay, does anyone know if the EVER made Buick globes??
I don't see one in Scott's CD
I have found three (3) NEVER seen globes in my life, but this one has me puzzled.

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Hi, John. I'll check for you over on the Buick club site, as to whether there was ever a Buick globe in real life. BUT, it's possible your lenses might be the 1980's repro (or fantasy) offering that used to be available. I'm not sure if those lenses were marked or dated at the bottom. This earlier Buick repro globe lens has not been available for quite a few years. The current reproduction Buick Sales & Service globe features the newer red, white and blue Buick logo.

Also, on your globe, I'm sure you observed that the lenses are in great condition, while the CAPCO body looks pretty roached....perhaps a clue! Best regards, John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Thu Oct 12 2017 06:02 PM.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
As far as the condition the guy had it sitting on his son porch I guess for like 30 years. The Capco body is actually an excellent condition not roach that all but the coloring you can see all the Swirls and I think the sun did that to it. In my time fooling with gas and oil I have found three Globes that were Originals that no one has ever seen before.

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Mitch Stinzler had some made years ago. Back in the late 70s. He sold them in his pawn shop. He also made a nice Sunray porcelain sign. 8" I believe, $35.00 each. No dates on anything back in those days.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks Morgan that's interesting. So while back in the seventies that really does make them antiques. LOL

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I believe Morgan is referring to the reproduction Buick globes I also mentioned. As both a Buick and old gas collector, I saw more than a few of these one-color Buick repros at meets in the 1980's.

Mitch Stinzler is the guy from Weber's in Fort Worth, isn't he? I have a faint memory of having seen a Buick globe in this design offered in their catalog back in the day. I don't think it was a Charlie Pergl item I'm thinking of, but most likely Weber's. I used to get their color catalog in the later 1970's and early 1980's. The quality of their reproduction globes was excellent. I bought a few of the more unique "rare" ones, since I knew it wasn't likely I would ever find an original. My memory is that the Weber reproduction globes came on actual CAPCO bodies. I think the bodies were still being produced by CAPCO at that point in time....after all, that's over 40 years ago!

When we're in the hobby long enough, some of these memories have been tucked away in some far-off corner of the brain. It's fun to have something like the picture of the repro Buick globe trigger a "retrieval". John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Thu Oct 12 2017 06:19 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That body looks like one of those old swirl bodies. I had one once and thought it was weathered and discolored but Scott B. bought it from me at IG and said it was original that way.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By keithia
That body looks like one of those old swirl bodies. I had one once and thought it was weathered and discolored but Scott B. bought it from me at IG and said it was original that way.

Thanks for all the info guys

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just an FYI.

There are NO ORIGINAL Buick lenses listed on the latest globe CD.

And from the photos John posted, it looks like a fantasy globe in a 40 year old body.

If the white side is real smooth (like 600 sandpaper), it is probably an early undated fantasy globe.

Most (not all, but most) original lenses have a fairly rough finish on the white side. It will feel like 100 grit sandpaper - NOT smooth. And the white is usually more transparent than current reproduction/fantasy lenses.

Feel the inside of an known original lens, then feel these. That will give you your answer.

Later . . .

Jim

Last edited by T-way; Fri Oct 13 2017 09:55 AM.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks Jim it sounds like from what everybody is saying it is a really old fantasy lens. Not as old as I am but old....
Well at least I ended up with a really cool original body.
Thanks again to everyone for all the input.

Last edited by Old Racer; Fri Oct 13 2017 06:39 AM.

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Pergl Gas Globes back in the mid 1970s made tons of "car globes" like this, now over 40 years old! Frame is original inserts are some of those he made back then. None were ever dated. Back then he told me he never thought these would be a problem. Scott B.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks Scott your input is always appreciated as well.
Ok, so I have a really old fantasy globe in a really old CAPCO body.
Now I just need to find a Buick collector that would like to spend $200 on a really old Buick fantasy globe.

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
John,
Since when did 40 years old become "really old"???? I'm 48, so 40 can't be old!

Brianh

Brian H

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved