Print Thread
#700144 Fri Dec 08 2017 02:57 PM
B
buzzy56 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
B
Need a little info on Wayne 615 visable pump. Did most come without signage and user applied their own labeling or none ? Looked at many images and found very few restored with signs , mostly decals. If they did come with signs were they signs tapered like the sheet metal or were they the smaller size rectangular curved 12” x 16” . Thanks for any help on this . Allready searches the site on 615s .
One other question. When setting the cylinder back on do most just use the new cork gaskets and snug the nuts up easily or do they use a bedding compound also ? First time working on a visable. Thanks for any tips .

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
buzzy56 #700146 Fri Dec 08 2017 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Robert Ive just made the gaskets out of rubber roofing material when I put them back together. I wouldnt use anything that would make it difficult to disassemble unless I was going to put liquid in it. Good luck with the pump.

JimT #700150 Fri Dec 08 2017 05:04 PM
B
buzzy56 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
B
The pump top & all their pc’s are disassembled , cylinder , rods , nuts ,& all the top pc’s. Are there just have to re-assemble them . Has new cork gasket set top & bottom with matching pattern of cylinder base & top. Just thought I want keep water out of the bottom area of the cylinder as it will set outside . Much as I do not like to use silicone , I will probably have to use it on the bottom of the cylinder on the base .
Thanks for the info as I just did not think the new unused re-po cork gaskets were sufficient to keep moisture out of the bottom area of the glass cylinder .

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
buzzy56 #700169 Fri Dec 08 2017 08:20 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J

When the Bennett Pump Co., moved from the building they had used since 1924, they called me and invited me to come up to Muskegon to search their literature.

One of the things I acquired was a 15" tall box of hundreds of original, 1922-1935 blueprints. My assumption is most pump companies did the same as the blue print showed. My other assumption is that when Texaco made a large purchase of pumps, they sent the pump company the specification of how they wanted the pump painted, where the decals were to be placed, and depending on where the pump were headed for, where the lead signs went. Some towns/cities/states had the lead signs on the fronts, some on the sides, and some didn't care.

Notice the picture shows exactly where the decal is to be placed (in this case the Bennett 810, the only visible pump made by Bennett). I have other blueprints showing Indian Gas, and Fire Chief decal specifications.

One other assumption, since almost all 10 gallon visible pumps were the same height, the specifications shown on the Bennett blueprint would be very close the specifications used by the Wayne Pump Company.

Note: These Texaco blueprints are from the Texas Company. If the station you are restoring was owned by a individual and not by Texaco, he probably purchased his pumps from a local petroleum equipment company. This company had pumps sitting in the warehouse, still in the original crate they were in when they came from the factory, and...they were painted red and had no signage. Possibly not the red used by Texaco, but red was the standard color for gasoline. He would then call his Texaco distributor and have them bring put a globe and some signs/decals.

The blueprints are for sale and they cover air meters, gas pumps and oil/grease dispensers if any one is interested, email me for information.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
buzzy56 #700171 Fri Dec 08 2017 08:23 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Forgot to mention this, here is some pictures and information on the 615. They are on my website at: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/wayne%20615.htm

I have more, just never posted them.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
buzzy56 #700192 Sat Dec 09 2017 07:27 AM
B
buzzy56 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
B
Thank you Jack for providing this information. I will go to your site later today to see what you have . I want you know that you are definitely an asset to this site and provide so much invaluable information too so many . Just like Dick Bennet your input has helped so many of us newbies get started in this hobby .
So thanks again for everything you do for the hobby . Pioneer .

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved