Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8290 Mon Jun 10 2002 06:11 PM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have noticed this is a guys hobby but how many woman collect this sort of thing? I know one lady here in my town that collects this sort of stuff but haven't heard of any others.
How do you guys pull off going out of town and stopping by someplace or someone's house and not get the speech "I don't want to stay here very long" or "Can't we go anywhere without you stopping to look at gas stuff" It almost makes me feel guilty.
Just wondering

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#8291 Tue Jun 11 2002 08:01 AM
A
A
You gotta be a man. I just do it and then listen to the bitchin for the next week.

#8292 Tue Jun 11 2002 08:14 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Jarvis, I am a somewhat younger collector (only 22) so you could imagine the strange looks I get when I introduce a college girl to what I do. the cool thing is that most times, and even with the girl I am with now the more I take her with me the more interested she gets. I ran into an old girlfriend I havent seen in a year the other day and she collects pumps now because she used to do it with me. I guess its all in the girls!!!

#8293 Tue Jun 11 2002 12:58 PM
D
D
At first she could not understand why I would spend good money to buy a rusty old pump to have in the garage. Once it was finished and mounted out by the barn with the globe on at night,she understood a little bit more.The real understanding came when she sees the excitement in our son's eyes when he is helping me restore a pump or just going to a auction on a saturday morning[auction starts at 8am and he's up at 4am].We can be driving anywhere and he's spotting pumps by barns and starting to identify them too[thanks to Jack's book].Best part is he's only 10,so I have some time to learn.That's how "WE" pull it off. Dean

#8294 Wed Jun 12 2002 06:20 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
My wife actually buys pumps and surprises me with them when I get home.I think she is more into the hobby than I am sometimes.

#8295 Thu Jun 13 2002 05:46 AM
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Jarvis,
If your situation is right.... you could use the coward method like I do.... and just not tell her, but if you do.... I hope you have a better answer than I did the first time she said.... "where did that gas pump come from?"

#8296 Thu Jun 13 2002 06:56 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Mine just retired from a mental health agency as a secretary and she understands my"condition". She is OK with it all until I want to put one inside the house, I can live with that.

#8297 Thu Jun 13 2002 03:11 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Well it's easy for me my wife's dad owned a Texaco station for 50 years.
So when I come home the reply is, "Dad would think that is neat......but he would be P.O.ed for what you paid.
I guess we need to do like the model A club does with the ERA fashion part of the club. where the fashion of the period is judged like the cars.
So what would be something in common with gas collectibles that your gal or other women would be interested in?

John

#8298 Tue Jun 18 2002 11:07 AM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
If you want some you have to give some. Two weeks ago I found an auction for my wife that had bolts of fabric, boxes of buttons and other sewing things. There wasn't anything that I wanted but she enjoyed that auction. We just got back from the Columbus show and there are always 14-18 couples that are very active in the hobby. Most of them set up and sell. My wife enjoys talking to the other women. It is fun meeting friends at these events. As far as women being envolved, the Sohio book and the Oil Cans Book were written by Sabra and Clark. These are two excellent books. Of course, there are always some women that you can tell are bored. In general,there are more women envolved in the hobby today than every before. My wife is always on the lookout and finds a lot of things that she knows I want. I am very fortunate. Have a nice day. Rex

#8299 Wed Jul 31 2002 06:23 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
HA... i must have a saint.. my girlfriend has a better eye than me finding our "gas stuff".. we have a room full and we ain't done yet !!!.. now... if i can only forgive her for leaving a bear wheel alinement sign she spotted being thrown away.. all would be well...

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved