Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#52188 Fri Nov 14 2003 06:40 AM
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
I got an email that appeared to come from PayPal asking me to verify my credit card info. The very tricky part is that the text of the message is actually an embedded image of text. This allows the scammer to make the entire message a link to his look alike site to get your username and password. Look on your status line for where the link actually takes you. The URL starts with http://www.paypal.com but has an @ in the middle that redirects you to the scammer. An @ in a Web address URL is a sure sign of a scam.

Two things are wrong here. PayPal always uses https://www.paypal.com to start their link URL. And it is good practice to never click on an email to a site that requires a password. Go to the correct site you have bookmarked, make sure it is right, then put in your password.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#52189 Fri Nov 14 2003 07:46 AM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
I got that a few weeks ago. Smelled to me just like some of the ebay "acct. verification request" I had received. I deleted it, signed in to paypal and checked my info.

Thanks for passing this along Jim.

#52190 Fri Nov 14 2003 09:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I received one yesterday, the dumb thing was it was addresed to my Website email address, which is not connected to my paypal account. Its like anything else, its about the numbers, if you can send out 1000 emails an hour (I don't know if thats possible) but say you can, and like anything else involving advertising, 1-2% respond, then you can harvest 240-480 suckers a day. Its just too bad more people don't hang out in places like this where there is a network of people to help each other out.

------------------
Lance
pogogas@telus.net
www.pogogas.com

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved