Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#19136 Fri Jan 18 2008 05:38 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Its a shame to me that the only place that seems to sell items is ebay. Their fees are very high yet when I try other sites they go nowhere. I listed quite a few items here in the for sale without a single response. Second time I tried classifieds here but won't again.These are items that I wouldn't have a problem selling at a gas bash but the high price of gas prohibits me traveling to bashes like I use to.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#19137 Fri Jan 18 2008 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have heard several times about High ebay fees, I have been selling for several years and find the charges ebay gets are minimal compared to any other type of advertising, plus you are getting the most exposure. The only large fees I can think of is if somebody puts some crazy high reserve on an item and it doesn't sell, then the fees would seem high

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
#19138 Fri Jan 18 2008 06:19 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I feel they are high, they charge regardless if an item sells and that is where it hurts. I am a power seller and My average monthly fees from them are around $400 thus cutting into alot of profit. They do occasionally have discount one day offers but this is only a few times a year. Then you have to deal with the flakes who bid and never pay and go thru that long process of getting fee back.

#19139 Fri Jan 18 2008 06:35 PM
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
I always look here first, but have to say, most members do not use this site to sell, which is disappointing. Most post a notice that their item is going on ebay with the link. Therefore, there arent a lot of interesting things here for sale. I assume the reason for this is that most feel they get more money selling on ebay even after paying the fees than here, or anywhere for that matter. So, If sellers are sick of paying ebay fees how about offering the item here for a week before you try to sell it there? Put up or shut up. Granted, you may not have the exposure here...and might not make the big score with some guy that just has to have what youre selling...but you wont have to complain about ebay eating into your profits either.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
#19140 Fri Jan 18 2008 06:41 PM
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
I've been using ebay to sell and buy since 1996. I think their fees are very reasonable. What costs alot is if you add a reserve. I usually don't use a reserve and, if it's not near what I want, I take it off the day before. If you do it before 12 hours prior to the end you only paying the VERY small beginning fee
Ray

#19141 Fri Jan 18 2008 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Still cheaper than renting a stall or building & having to pay the rent/mortgage/ins, breakage/theft etc., wether ya sell anything or not.
With ebay you give it a starting price & let the buyers set the selling price. On oldgas you set the selling price & complain if it don't sell ? & it cost you what ?

#19142 Fri Jan 18 2008 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
IMO, ebay is the best deal going. Their fees are more than reasonable and you're getting national exposure.

#19143 Fri Jan 18 2008 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've had pretty good luck selling items in the for sale forum here. It doesn't cost a thing.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#19144 Sat Jan 19 2008 05:02 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't think e-bay's fees are out of reason. They should charge you a fee even if your item doesn't sell. It is a business and you're paying for that air time regardless of a sale. If you put your item in a local paper or trader publication you have to pay a fee regardless of a sale. I see no difference. I've had pretty good luck here on the for sale forum myself. I hardly ever use e-bay. I do wish more people were informed about this site though.

Mike

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
#19145 Sat Jan 19 2008 06:07 AM
I also don't find the ebay fees that unreasonable, but I have gotten burned in the past on ebay pretty bad and most people that I have talked to that use ebay also have. In saying that I usually won't bid on an item unless I can go pick it up. If I were to buy something off of this site I would feel much more comfortable because we all are collectors and can give a much more accurate description and be held accountable than someone on ebay who says that they are no expert and sell you a repro or say that they were selling for someone else and can't offer a refund. I do check the for sale section, but I feel that I really don't see that many high quality signs. If people would just post pics of the nicer stuff that they would like to sell or that they will be taking to shows and put the price that they would like then I feel that the for sale section would be better. Right now I just cannot travel to the shows so what I do buy I have to find at auction or from a friend. Also rather than putting it in any auction and paying the consignment fee, place it in the for sale section first with the number that you have in mind. Just my 2 cents on Saturday morning.
Matt

Matt Jamison
#19146 Sat Jan 19 2008 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jamison, very good reply, the thing about ebay is the thrill of getting 3 times what an item may be worth, There is not a single person that would not like that, everybody wants top dollar for an item, When you place an item on Old Gas you need to price it conservatively because it is seen by all knowledgeable collectors and not likely to sell for more than its worth. I have seen an item or 2 listed a while back on this site that did not sell, It was later on ebay and did over double the asking price, That is the exciting part that keeps ebay going, I am just rambling on, but the more people that see your item the better chance you have

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
#19147 Sat Jan 19 2008 08:53 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I guess some are doing good enough that the fees are ok, but I am paying about 1/4 of my sales in fees. My main statement is why are people on this site not even responding to what normally would be popular items. Ex Put in a bowser gas cart with large wheels that I thought was a rare item, not a single question about it. I guess its not the rare item I thought. So I have no choice but to use ebay Other sites have very low rates compared to ebay yet nobody buys, this makes no sense to me as to why ebay has such a monopoly on internet selling when their fees are so much higher. Oh well..

#19148 Sat Jan 19 2008 10:16 AM
I don't know if any of you guys have heard of this new website that just got started in late December, but it is an alternative to ebay called www.icollect247.com. I know the couple that got it started and they are great people. The website is only for items 20 years and older (no reproductions) and includes a lot of different collectibles (petroliana, country store, and soda). It is still getting started so give it time. But again listing it in the for sale section here is free and I would love to see more on this website.

Matt Jamison
#19149 Sat Jan 19 2008 11:22 AM
R
R
the unfortunate thing is usually... reality or greed get in the way

they whine so much about the fees are to high!

which is better a spot where you can list for nothing but it doesnt sell... or a place that might charge you 10% and it sells for double what you wanted

seems most want to pay nothing and do very little or expect to pay nothing for anyone else to get er done for them

you can believe basically... price sells everything and for a price everything sells!

#19150 Sat Jan 19 2008 03:39 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I resent Ronsjunk narrowminded remark, I don't think that saying $400 plus fees per month is whining. I feel he needs an attitude adjustment

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved