Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34652 Mon Jan 28 2008 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I just purchased 2 15" blue seal lenses.When I tried to install them in my 15" body 1 lens slipped right into place with no issues.When I tried to install the other lens it would not fit into the body so I could put the snap ring in place.The lens acts almost like it's a little too big?I'm not lacking allot maybe an 1/8 of an inch.Is it possible the lens is slightly large or out of round or is it the body?The other lens will fit on either side of the body.

If the lens is big how can I get it to fit into the body?
Thanks for your help!
Tom

Got Socony???

Tom
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#34653 Mon Jan 28 2008 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Body original or repop? I have seen some of the repops have this issue.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#34654 Mon Jan 28 2008 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
It's a repop.

Got Socony???

Tom
#34655 Mon Jan 28 2008 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tom,
We've had a few repop metal bodies that deviated in size a bit from one side to another and have even had a couple where lenses would not even fit into the body period, though it sounds like the lenses do have some slight difference in size/shape. In your case where you can get the lens into the body but are unable to place the snap ring in I would recommend a few dabs of clear silicone to hold the lens in place. Just lay the lens in flat and put the dabs on the outside of the lens (never behind as it will make future removal much more difficult and risky) and allow to dry. If down the road you want to switch bodies or whatever a sharp razor blade will peel away the silicone and make lens removal relatively easy. If you have any other questions feel free to shoot me an email.

Aaron Hop

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
#34656 Tue Jan 29 2008 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tom:

If you are using the 'new' stamped steel bodies that are available - you will occasionally run into a problem.

We have found that one side is consistently larger/smaller than the other.

Mater-of-fact, I had to adjust my 'blank' glass size to accommodate this problem.

If you don't want to use the silcone method Aaron mentioned - then purchase one of the spun aluminum bodies. Their openings are larger and will fit almost any set of lenses you will run accross.

Later . . .

Jim

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved