Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
dsego Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I am having trouble installing the door glass in a Tokheim 39 short pump. I have new glass and rubber. I broke one piece and have another one. This thing fits to tight I must be doing something wrong. Can someone give me some direction?
Thanks!
Darrell

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
dsego: where did you get the glass? If you had a glass company cut one based on the original that could be your problem. The rubber is a little meatier which makes using exact original sized glass a lot more difficult to install. The glass most pump places use is cut down just a little bit which makes a big difference.

If you ordered the glass from a vendor that sells gas pump parts then my limited experience use WD40, a string, and a lots of patience.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
& keep Lots of BEER handy. Never try to install anything when your Frustrated.
Take lots of breaks, have a Beer or 2, TRY again,
take a break, have a Beer or 2, Try again, etc etc until beer is gone. What glass ?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
agree with both,ohio oil and dick bennett.just watch after too many beers,you can install it upside down!!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J

www.petrolianacollectibles.com/tokheim%2039a

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Mon Aug 03 2009 03:28 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
M
M
First thing make sure that you are installing the glass on the back side of the door. I have found it easier to cut and fit the gasket to the glass and then super glue the ends together. Then you dont need three hands to hold everything all at once.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I use a butter knife to help get the glass in place, but it is not an easy job at any rate. Like the others have said take your time it took me about an hour to get one of mine in.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I've done a bunch of these. Really not a big deal. Place the door face up on a blanket. Install the window rubber tightly in the opening taking care to fit the corners well. I put the cut part at the bottom center...Now, roll the door onto it's face. Place the new glass into the rubber at the upper part of the opening. Push up as far as you can then use a window tool called a bone.....made of nylon and tapered at both ends....probably find one at your local glass supplier? Work the tool around the glass edge lifting the rubber and easing down on the glass. The key here is patience and you'll be surprised how easily the window goes in>

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved