Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#149333 Fri Aug 21 2009 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
...on the 'Shop Talk' home page, under the list of Oldgas members who are logged on at any given moment, there is a listing for the number of guests, and one for the number of 'Spiders'...while I'm familiar with the eight-legged arachnids, I'm not sure what the term means in this context...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I CAN THINK OF QUITE A FEW THAT MAY FIT THAT TERM

Last edited by KZ1000; Fri Aug 21 2009 03:26 PM.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When you type Gas Pump in google, it brings you the results. The results are created by spiders that have indexed all the web pages on the net. Think of a spider as a software program to store text versions of web pages.

My .02

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
and if i remember jims explanation,they do not get or use personal info.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Mark! I have wondered that same thing countless times and just couldn't bring myself to ask blush

........Dave
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: oldnfuelish
and if i remember jims explanation,they do not get or use personal info.

NO, But remember ANYTHING you type and post here, or anywhere, can and will be on the internet forever! So, if you post contact info in a thread, you just gave it to all!

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Good question & points. Glad you asked smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Online Cool
When you think in terms of the "Web" as in World Wide Web for the Internet, a spider is an automated computer that "crawls the Web" in a search for something. In most cases, a spider such as Googlebot searches for new and updated content to include in the search engine's index. So when you search on Google, the results are what the Googlebot has found in its past travels. So the spider is a good thing in that it collects the words that are used to deliver relevant results when you're searching for something.

A few spiders also collect complete Web pages that are retained in archives. Examples of vintage Oldgas.com pages can be found at this link:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://oldgas.com

On Oldgas.com, spiders do not have access to your Shop Talk profile because only registered members who are logged in can get there. This also protects your contact email and other info from spam harvesters and other privacy bad guys. But when you post your email address, phone number or other personal info in a posted public message, it is exposed to all viewers, good and bad.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
...thanks for the explanation - I'm guessing that Private Messages are also safe from these things, because you have to log in to get them?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Online Cool
PM pages can be seen only by the sender and recipient when they are logged in. They can possibly be reviewed by the moderator if there is a problem. PM pages can not be seen by a spider or the public.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved