Print Thread
#321088 Mon Apr 23 2012 03:00 PM
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Hello All,
I purchased this group of 4 new old stock Tavern electric motor oil in lead tubes off of Ebay last week. I was a bit suprised at the internal condition upon receiving them and would like some input from the group.
While the boxes were pretty bright and had no visible water damage, the tubes themselves are all bubbled and the paint is very flaky in different spots. Since I do not own any other lead tube items I'm not sure if this is normal or if they were possibly exposed to heavy moisture and over time it separated the paint from the tubes? Two of them are decent but the surface is all bubbly, while two are flaking pretty badly. It does not appear there are any oil leaks that are separating the paint either, as the paint is flaky on the nice tubes as well.
Originally I was happy winning the lot for $32, since I thought by the pics posted in the listing they would be in better shape than they actually turned out to be. With two decent examples and two in lesser condition, I'm now wondering if I got an OK deal or not? I have option to return them to the seller, but wanted some input on if the condition is what is to be expected with these or are there really nice tubes available?
Thanks for any help.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I suppose when the lead tubes were flexed slightly over the years, the brittle paint had a tendency to lift/flake off?

Stevo #321118 Mon Apr 23 2012 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have some Texaco outboard tubes that the paint flaked on.
I agree with the brittle paint.
Still a good deal I think.

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
your not buried in them- for the money you did fine.. cool

RANDY
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I belive in collections, by which I mean, collecting as many of one item in this hobby. I once had a collection of over 800 handy oilers (600 different), this is what I call a collection. I know a lot of guys don't agree with me, but if you have two pumps, four globes, one lubster, etc, this is not a collection, this is an accumulation.
I agree with oldracer above, you got a great deal, now try and get everything that Mobil put the name "Tavern" on, then post pictures of of all of them here on OG, so we know what to look for.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Mon Apr 23 2012 09:55 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Thanks for the help guys. I do have quite a few different Tavern items in my Mobil collection already, so I'm working on it Jack. Like I said, I just wasn't sure if this is normal condition for these types of items or not. At $8 a piece I figured the nice boxes were worth that much so if the internals aren't in super shape, they still would make a nice display.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved