Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#324301 Mon May 07 2012 01:52 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I picked up this Erie pump over the weekend but the tag was missing. All other parts are there except for a few missing stainless trim and whatever sat on top (glass top or globe). I'm guessing it's either model 70 or 90. Know how to tell the difference?

php0gFshqAM.jpg phpynUeAdPM.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Ron Cabanayan #324322 Mon May 07 2012 04:08 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I think it is a 90 due the base

dundign #324446 Tue May 08 2012 08:28 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
In the price book the picture of the 90 shows a different base but the same clam shaped light cover on the door. This base shows up on the non-computing model 90. The model 70 in the book does not have the same light cover. But, then, these are illustrations and not actual pictures. Then, I see on-line similar looking pumps being called a model 70. So, I got confused. I guess it wouldn't matter to me so much except for the book price difference.

Ron Cabanayan #324934 Wed May 09 2012 11:52 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Pump companies made changes in their pump all the time. When a pump was introduced it might have the same base as the previous model, but when they ran out of them it would have a taller or shorter base. Yes, I relied on factory literature for pictures for my book, I didn't have the time or the resources to travel around the country and take pictures of pumps in personal collections.

When using my book, look at the picture with the thought in mind that they probably made changes in the pump but didn't bother to change the pictures they were using in their sales literature.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #324993 Thu May 10 2012 08:14 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for your thoughts on this Jack. I think you put together a real good book and I am relying on it to help me learn about what I'm seeing out there. It's a great help.

I was just confused by what other people on the internet have been calling a model 70 and 90 (or, maybe they are). It's like the name has been interchangeable. But, is there another way of distinguishing the difference? My best guess is that the design of the doors were slightly different but I really can't tell. And, I am guessing that the difference in value between the 70 and 90 is because there must have been a design error or update when the 70 was introduced and not as many were produced at the time before the 90 came out. So, there are less model 70s than the 90s although they look the same.

I'm still learning, so please bear with me as I ask questions. Thanks again.

Ron

Ron Cabanayan #325066 Thu May 10 2012 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The real differences in a 70 & 90 is the base. Some were sold w/ & w/o the adv glass.
Jack wanted to do a Pump ID book, but the publisher Insisted that there be values. IMO, I think Jack did a GREAT JOB on the BOOK.
Not everyone agrees on some of the values in the book, but when you have 2,000+ & the publisher doing the layout w/ values they have no idea if they skipped 1 or a few or transposed some values when they deleted some of the pumps.
W/O the glass top, value on the 70/90 should be w/o adv glass $700-900.

Dick Bennett #325189 Fri May 11 2012 08:24 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Dick, thanks for your input. I appreciate your thoughts. Really, I'm not so worried on the value since I intend on keeping it. I was just wondering why there was such a difference in the value in the book for two pumps that look so similar.

I can understand what might go on between writer and publisher. The writer wants quality content that is helpful while the money guy wants the money (the world we live in). But still, I agree with you that Jack Sim put together a very nice publication. Simply put, it is a guide to help you understand what you are dealing with. Excellent resource for a novice like me. Thanks again.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved