Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
dalin Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
anyone watch Cajun Pawn Stars tonight ? They had a gas pump on the show. The host rattled off a probably pre-made speech. it's funny how they act like they know so much when they are precoached before the customer walks in. lol Saying the Bennett pump was sooooo much better than the rest of the pumps, etc. Anyways , it was a (Gulf oil Corp.)Wayne 1 or Southwest 1. (although Bennett perhaps made a few also) So, they gave the guy $2,000 for it and it had a so-so restoration(if any restoration besides a new hose) LOL, I got one just like it for $1k that was a 9/10 last winter. Don't think I have seen one sell for much more. I'll try to find the video

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
dalin Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
here's the video The title is "All Shock Up" it's 17min into the show, enjoy.

http://www.history.com/shows/cajun-pawn-stars/videos#cajun-pawn-stars-all-shook-up

camera shows a close up of the tag it reads "Gulf Oil Corp. MAKE: Ben , Model: 748 , Date 3/66 " but it's not like the Bennett 748 in Sims book ? I know many made pumps for Gulf the Wayne 1, Southwest 1, and one on eBay now called a Rapid?yton, Model 1420vg, 3/65. eBAy ITEM # 180876813359 (the last 3 pumps are basically the same)
It's possible Bennett made a few and just put the model 748 tag on it??? but it's not the Bennett 748 as we know it as in Sims book.

Last edited by dalin; Wed Aug 08 2012 11:39 PM.
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
They got stuck!

Always looking for Mint oil cans. Esp Aviation and Outboard Oil Cans and pumps. Looking fot Cheerwine signs!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
IMO they paid way too much! This is one of the reasons why non collectors / pickers now ask astronomical prices for their Gas & Oil collectibles; they watch shows like this and think their item is worth way more then it’s true market value.

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I can't believe it. That was so scripted, and 2000.00 for that, what a gift.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...you have to remember: it may not have actually sold! they're just actors, playing the part of people buying stuff...because it's called 'reality TV', people believe what's shown is reality...but the participants are under no obligation to present the truth, they're just manufacturing content to fill the time slot and sell commercials...the more over-the-top the prices/situations are, the better the ratings...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I am a contributer of information for the American Restoration show, Rick is an old friend of mine. We use to set up together at shows, he has been here to my house twice and he purchased the last 75 pumps I had. I still see a few of them in the background.
When I was asked to be a info contributor I had to sign a contract with the producers. They don't pay you anything, they just put your name in the credits at the end of the show. To see my name you would have to record the show and watch it in very slow motion, they go by so fast.
Watch the picker show real close, sometimes when they are telling you all about an item they are wearing different clothes than they had on when they found the item.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Here again, watching this stuff is akin to watching paint dry. Who gives a good {insert bad word here} what they do or say on these shoes? It's TV....smoke and mirrors. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved