Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#557571 Sat Aug 02 2014 11:41 AM
T-way Online Content OP
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
From time to time, I get calls asking how to clean a dirty original lens.

Usually, just a wad of 0000 steel wool and a bottle of Windex is sufficient. Sometimes, you have to get more aggressive.

I generally suggest starting with the steel wool and Windex and working to a harsher method as required.

Paint flecks can be removed with a single-edge razor blade and finished with the steel wool.

A really dirty back side can be scrubbed with a medium to fine Scotch-bright pad using the Windex as a lubricant. If that fails, you can use 1000 grit sandpaper (YES! Sandpaper) along with the Windex as a lube. This is the last step, what won't come off here is there to stay. Although most 'surface' stains won't stand up to the sandpaper.

Occasionally, you purchase/find a really nasty lens. I bought one of those a couple of years ago. I tried the normal processes to clean it up, but the face was acid etched and scratched. Nothing seemed to work on the acid staining.

Well today I tried a new process. I had purchased some glass cleaning compounds and the matching orbital rubbing pads from Meguiars - so I put them to the test. It took about a half hour to clean 1/2 of my 16.5" Refiners Ethyl lens. Take a look and see what I achieved. I believe once I do the other half, I will have significantly increased the value of this piece of glass.

clean 1.jpg clean 2.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T-way #557575 Sat Aug 02 2014 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
thanks tway I will have to give this a try

Last edited by s932; Sat Aug 02 2014 11:54 AM.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
s932 #557581 Sat Aug 02 2014 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for sharing this. Can you include a pic of the cleaning products you used?

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
What I have used that is very effective for dirty and greasy backside of lenses is GoJo hand cleaner with pumice. Some lenses you have to be very careful since the chemicals may have already penetrated the "baked on" finish. Front side, as stated above, razor blade and an old fashioned Brillo pad works great. Been using this for years with excellent success.

T-way Online Content OP
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
Sorry guys - not Meguiars, the products are from Groit's.

You can get a catalog by calling 800.345.5789.

The two polishes I used are the Glass Polish Item #11017, and the Fine Glass Polish Item #11063. They offer a special kit with both, Item #11074. You'll also need the pads, Order the size you need when you call. The pads come in 5" and 6" diameters.

I also used some 1000 grit wet-n-dry sandpaper lubricated with liquid soap (Fantastik or equivalent) to start, and followed everything up with a nice coat of automotive past wax.

Jim

Last edited by T-way; Sun Aug 03 2014 06:01 AM.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved