Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
OP Offline
N
Hi guys,

I recently acquired this Genuine Ford Battery Sales Service porcelain sign. It measures 15"x23". I would really appreciate someone's thoughts on this sign, primarily authenticity. Is this the real mccoy? Im somewhat new to the hobby and could would love to learn what to look for in an authentic sign.

Thank you in anticipation!

GenuineFordBatterySalesService_01A.jpg GenuineFordBatterySalesService_03A.jpg GenuineFordBatterySalesService_05A.jpg GenuineFordBatterySalesService_07A.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
C
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
C
It's a fake. Sorry. There are a lot of reasons I say that. Get with John Mancino in your area and let him help you. He has a swap meet east of Syracuse and is on this site. Good luck, it is a great hobby.

N
OP Offline
N
Wow. Too bad. I appreciate the quick response. Any specific reasons you say that? Just trying to learn. Thanks

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That sign is in the known reproductions / fantasy forum in old gas, just click on that and you'll see this sign, minus the dents and rust.

The patina on this sign seems pretty well done, scary. Not the typical beat down with a hammer.

For me, what jumps out at me is the "F", the narrowness of it and also the way it steps in the tail of the "F". I wouldn't expect a vintage error to look like that. The letters are kind of "joggy" like generated by computer. I sometimes make Repro stickers by taking pics of the real thing and "vectorizing" it on my computer. The outline of the letters has the same look I see post vectorizing. It's the error the computer makes in generating a curve, instead the computer creates a series of lines that jog ever so slightly at their end points.

Sorry! I know this sucks.

Last edited by Paul Bell; Mon Oct 12 2015 02:18 AM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The porcelain has a million small bubbles-like it boiled or something. Like some one made it in their backyard. Original sign company's quality-especially a company that Ford hired to make their signs- were highly proficient.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
This is how you would expect to find an 'damaged in the wild' Ford sign. This one was found in an old workshed.

And here it is cleaned up.

That is how mother nature ages things.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved