Print Thread
#26288 Thu Dec 07 2000 12:37 PM
D
DCpate Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
I've got a sign that is oxidized and I'm leery of putting clear coat on it for fear of giving it a yellowish tint. What is the best way to shine up an old porc. sign? I've heard everything from brake fluid to car wax (tried the wax, didnt do the trick). What are your opinions on clear coating a sign? Does this lower its value? How can I get this thing shiny again?? Please post any and all methods for giving a sign a good shine. I know you guys know....help me out! Thanks everybody

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#26289 Thu Dec 07 2000 07:41 PM
L
L
Quote:
Originally posted by DCpate:
I've got a sign that is oxidized and I'm leery of putting clear coat on it for fear of giving it a yellowish tint. What is the best way to shine up an old porc. sign? I've heard everything from brake fluid to car wax (tried the wax, didnt do the trick). What are your opinions on clear coating a sign? Does this lower its value? How can I get this thing shiny again?? Please post any and all methods for giving a sign a good shine. I know you guys know....help me out! Thanks everybody

#26290 Thu Dec 07 2000 07:51 PM
L
L
I used triple 000 steel wool with WD-40,and then I used nu-finish car polish. This will clean most of surface rust. Just dont go to deep. Hope this helps.

#26291 Mon Dec 11 2000 03:14 AM
B
B
I owned a sign that had been clear-coated by the previous owner- yes, it did turn yellow...

I used that year 2000 car awx on my other signs after I used comet to scrub them down.. the wax has a fine buffing adsditive in it - but mine were not rusty that I did that to

------------------
(*)NRA Annual Member

[*]NRA Annual Member

[*]Ted Nugent's United Sportsmen of America[/list]

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved