Last Friday my wife and I spent almost 8 hours on the computer following a very large auction (not petroleum related) that permitted internet bidding. The auction was for the contents of the Kemper Military Academy in Boonville, MO. It was run by the Sonabid bidding people and the Maas Auctioneers. We had placed about 30 bids (there were over 600 items) on various items. On most of them we were over bid quickly.
About half-way through the auction a small lot came up that we had placed a $50.00 bid on. Our bid was recognized on the computer and thay asked for bids from the floor. The bid got up to $50.00 and was awarded to someone on the floor, ignoring the internet bid of mine.
It took me two day to get someone to respond to my phone calls and emails and do you know what they told me? We are sorry, we made a mistake.
I know there are a lot of petroleum related auctions that permit internet bidding, but I don't know if I would participate now that this has happened.
It appears that a high bid on the internet does not guarantee you the item. They seem to have the right to take a bid from the floor even if it is the same as yours.
Just a warning, be careful.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available