#238091 Thu Mar 03 2011 09:43 PM
F
OP Offline
F
I have the following glass globes for sale on ebay;

mars item # 220748073558

Hiotane item # 220748077194

mobil item # 220748079405

I was wondering if anyone had any experience shipping globes. I want to package them as best as possible so any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

fastback25 #238094 Thu Mar 03 2011 10:04 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
If you do not feel comfortable packing them, I would suggest taking them to a professional packaging company and paying $10.00 or so for thier service. Make sure you purchase insurance no matter which way you decide to go. Double boxing something like this would be a good idea as well.

chadrock00 #238122 Fri Mar 04 2011 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
key words: DOUBLE BOXING (heavy emphasis on that!)

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Heres some comments from Scott Benjamin in an old PCM article!
"Don’t forget when you ship a three piece glass globe or a metal framed globe you should always remove the inserts unless the inserts are caulked in. Tell or explain the sender these rules. Auction houses and packing companies need to understand this as we still hear about too much breakage in this hobby. The only way to avoid this is to tightly wrap the globe in bubble wrap so the inserts cannot move at all and then double box the globe. You must realize inserts vibrate during shipping and inserts are either touching glass or metal which is not good".

Scott had an "in depth" article on globe packing but it was quite a while back. Maybe someone one remembers what issue. In any case, you could probably get a copy by calling PCM and requesting one! Good luck!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #238143 Fri Mar 04 2011 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If I remember correctly your globes had plastic bodies. Get a roll of shrink wrap with a handle like they sell at Lowes. Wrap the globe tightly with the shrink wrap so the lenses do not move at all in the body. Then wrap the globe with bubble wrap. Place it in a box with a minimum of 2" of styro peanuts around all sides, top and bottom. Seal that box up and give it a shake. If you can feel the globe move at all you need to add more styro peanuts. Place that box in a larger box with 2" of styro peanuts on all sides, top and bottom. Seal it up and give it a shake. If the inner box moves at all you need to add more styro peanuts to the outer box. I also like to add extra pieces of cardboard on the sides to help protect the lenses from objects that may pierce the box. The outer box will need to be about 24 X 24 X 18 for a capco globe. Now here is the most important part. Never ever ship a globe through UPS! You'll only have to see them throw a globe box (clearly marked FRAGILE and GLASS) out of the truck one time to understand. Between seeing them throw and kick globe boxes a friend got some globes where the driver climbed on the boxes! The other bad thing about UPS (as if their handling of fragile items wasn't bad enough) is they are bad about paying for globes they break. They'll try to blame the damage on poor packaging.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Lastgas15 #238152 Fri Mar 04 2011 08:56 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The Fedex shipping center by me has a sign on the wall that says Fedex insurance does not cover glass items. And Fedex has the worst record of the big three for damaged shipments.

Also....when I shipped a plastic body globe I also put some moderately tight wadded up newspaper inside the globe in addition to the above suggestions and never had one break.

Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Mr.Wadhams #238266 Fri Mar 04 2011 04:37 PM
V
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
V
UPS store is the best! Because if its damaged they file the claim!

vmc44 #238269 Fri Mar 04 2011 04:47 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I would read Scott Benjamins advice and follow his double boxing suggestions. I would not advise having a "professional packer" do this. If you ever watched them do their job it is truly scary. If you want a job done right, do it yourself.

Lastgas15 #238272 Fri Mar 04 2011 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Lastgas15
Now here is the most important part. Never ever ship a globe through UPS! You'll only have to see them throw a globe box (clearly marked FRAGILE and GLASS) out of the truck one time to understand. Between seeing them throw and kick globe boxes a friend got some globes where the driver climbed on the boxes!
Just because you had one bad incident does not mean ALL UPS employees mishandle packages and every globe shipped will be damaged. Yes , my company does have some damages occur, but no more than any other shipping company. I have received damaged globes from several shipping companies, and most were due to BAD packaging by a "professional packer". All shipping companies, unfortunately have some careless employees, no matter who they are. The keys have already been listed, REMOVE lenses from bodies and DOUBLE BOX.

Last edited by pumpingethyl; Fri Mar 04 2011 05:00 PM.

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
pumpingethyl #238341 Fri Mar 04 2011 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I know of a fellow oldgasser who sent some lenses UPS, packed very well and double boxed. Something (he thought a piece of rebar)was shoved through both boxes, destroying the lenses and UPS tried to tell him it was due to poor packaging.

At any rate, they should be packaged to where you would feel comfortable dropping them from a height of 6 feet...that's the standard I've heard, anyway.

pumpingethyl #238365 Fri Mar 04 2011 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: pumpingethyl
Now here is the most important part. Never ever ship a globe through UPS! You'll only have to see them throw a globe box (clearly marked FRAGILE and GLASS) out of the truck one time to understand. Between seeing them throw and kick globe boxes a friend got some globes where the driver climbed on the boxes!
Just because you had one bad incident does not mean ALL UPS employees mishandle packages and every globe shipped will be damaged. Yes , my company does have some damages occur, but no more than any other shipping company. I have received damaged globes from several shipping companies, and most were due to BAD packaging by a "professional packer". All shipping companies, unfortunately have some careless employees, no matter who they are. The keys have already been listed, REMOVE lenses from bodies and DOUBLE BOX.

Who said I had ONE bad incident? I saw a UPS driver KICK a globe box out of his truck. I saw another UPS driver THROW a globe out of his truck. A friend was receiving several globes at one time. He saw the driver climb on something like 8 globes because he was too damn lazy to walk around to the back of the truck. Another friend saw a UPS driver throw a globe out of the truck. I know another guy that received a globe that looked like a safe had been dropped on it. The box was literally smashed so it was less than 2" tall (ok, that one was probably an accident). I know a guy that worked loading trucks for UPS. He said if the box said fragile or glass on it was like an invitation to throw the box. I could go on, but you get the idea. I never said EVERY UPS employee was that way, but overall their track record is terrible, much worse than USPS. I've shipped somewhere around 90 globes and never had any damage. I've received around 200 globes and the only ones that were damaged came UPS, and they were properly packed.
If a replacement window contractor were to go to your house to install new windows and you saw an employee throw the new windows off the truck onto your driveway I suspect you would have harsh words about the way that company performed and probably warn others not to use that window contractor. Who could blame you? I wouldn't.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Lastgas15 #238368 Fri Mar 04 2011 11:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When I ship fragile items, I build a plywood box.
Never had a problem, YET.

Dick Bennett #238369 Fri Mar 04 2011 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is from the globe book............

It's a loss to the hobby to have even a single globe broken and yet we hear about this
happening all too often.
First of all, plan to double box the globe. This is a must! The outer box should be
large, at least 20 cubic inches. We can't stress this enough. Most damaged globes
are shipped in smaller FLAT boxes. Don't use these-- use larger square/cube boxes.
Allow at least five to six inches around all sides, top and bottom of the globe for the first
box. Styrofoam peanuts are great because they do the job and are light in weight.
Once the globe is boxed, place the box in a second larger box.
Allow at least four to six inches or more between the smaller box and the larger box. If
your first box is 10 cubic inches then the second box should be at least 24 to 26 cubic
inches. Again, use Styrofoam peanuts or other packing material. Newspaper works
well when other packing material is not available, but it gets heavy. Make sure to line
the bottom of each box with at least four inches of soft padding. Place a few loose
sheets of cardboard across the top of the inner box for extra protection.
When packing a glass body globe with glass inserts, remove the inserts! Otherwise,
you run the risk of damaging the inserts due to vibrations in transport, which can cause
them to break...Place thing bubble pack, or , if not available, several sheets of
newspaper (six to ten) between separately in another area of the box. That wayh,
during shipping it won't bump and break the inserts. By the way, never stack more
than six to eight inserts on top of each other when shipping and even when simply
storing. The weight alone could break or crack the bottom insert.
When packing plastic body globes with glass inserts, either ship them assembled or
take them apart before packing. We’ve done it both ways with no problem. But when
shipping a fully assembled globe, make sure that the three screws on the plastic body
are screwed tight. Stuff the inside of the globe with crumpled newspaper only, not
packing peanuts. Metal frame globes with glass inserts should be taken apart. Again,
loose inserts and a metal body make a bad combination. If the inserts are very tight or
hard to remove, pack them well but make sure the inserts are snug. Place the metal
frame globe inserts in a small box placed inside of a bigger box, with the metal body on
top. This adds protection on he upper portion of the box in case it is hit from above or
something heavy rests on it. Metal bodies are nearly indestructible.
On rare or expensive globes it is best to use overnight delivery services such as
Federal Express. It's not worth taking chances on breakage and although it's more
costly you're rather not see your globe arrive in "kit" form. Avoid shipping a glove
during the extremely cold weather. Globes are more brittle then and break more
easily, even plastic globes.
We've heard pros and cons on marking your box as "Fragile" or "Glass". Ours go out
unmarked and we rarely have a problem. Don't forget to insure your globe and hope
that it arrives in home piece!

Lastgas15 #238387 Sat Mar 05 2011 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: pumpingethyl

Who said I had ONE bad incident? I saw a UPS driver KICK a globe box out of his truck. I saw another UPS driver THROW a globe out of his truck. A friend was receiving several globes at one time. He saw the driver climb on something like 8 globes because he was too damn lazy to walk around to the back of the truck. Another friend saw a UPS driver throw a globe out of the truck. I know another guy that received a globe that looked like a safe had been dropped on it. The box was literally smashed so it was less than 2" tall (ok, that one was probably an accident). I know a guy that worked loading trucks for UPS. He said if the box said fragile or glass on it was like an invitation to throw the box. I could go on, but you get the idea. I never said EVERY UPS employee was that way, but overall their track record is terrible, much worse than USPS. I've shipped somewhere around 90 globes and never had any damage. I've received around 200 globes and the only ones that were damaged came UPS, and they were properly packed.
If a replacement window contractor were to go to your house to install new windows and you saw an employee throw the new windows off the truck onto your driveway I suspect you would have harsh words about the way that company performed and probably warn others not to use that window contractor. Who could blame you? I wouldn't.
Sounds like the state of Illinois has a lot of angry delivery drivers. SAFETY TIP OF THE DAY / When in Illinois, if you approach a UPS truck , make sure you watch out for flying boxes that are thrown or kicked from the vehicle. Hard hats are recommended. Stay at least 30 feet away if possible. Also be aware that there might be falling safes in the vicinity. And whatever you do, don't mark it FRAGILE or GLASS because it might push one of the lazy box handling maniacs over the edge. crazy

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
pumpingethyl #238390 Sat Mar 05 2011 07:37 AM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Well here I go. I was a UPS driver for 16 years and could not believe what I saw. Not all drivers are rough with packages, but I saw enough and had enough bad things happen to my packages that I switched my shipping of glass street lights to the post office. The insurance pay off was no existent along with Fed ex payoffs. They showed the fine print that said anything collectible or antique would only get $100.00 max payoff even though I paid for more insurance. Lots of carpet padding is what we use to ship and then double box with peanuts or carpet padding in between. My glass street light globes are with the tops on close to three feet tall and 12" wide about 70 years old and fragile. Did have the post office break one package of something else and was paid very quickly.
The capper is when I received a box of rose plants from Calif.UPS and there was a foot print in the middle of the box that went through the box. They said it was bad packing.
The first year I was with the company they explained we were self insured and I needed to make sure we handled things well. There claims the year before were $300 million dollars, I could not believe it. There are good and bad in each carrier, for after watching all this I did freight liquidation for about 8 years. UNBELIEVABLE !!

Craig
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved