Click here for Collectible Motor Oil Can auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
OP Offline
I
New to this website and forum. I have a case of unopened one quart Quaker State oil cans circa early 1980s. On the cardboard case, the box is marked with an orange sticker that says "Test Package". I have looked on various sites websites off and on over the past 15 years to see if there are any similar cans on display or up for auction. I cannot find anything similar by any oil company. Appears as though Quaker State was experimenting with an easy open can before plastic bottles came along about the same time (this is my opinion, not fact). As far as I know, Quaker State never did sell this type of can in the retail marketplace. Maybe someone of this forum can verify that assumption. Big question: is there any value in these cans other than the oil that's in them?

096.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to Oldgas. Assuming this is a real can, (and I have no reason to doubt you), I would think you may have something very unusual or unique. If it is something that never made the market for very long, I think both Quaker Oil and general oil can collectors would be very interested. I could see a Quaker Oil collector wanting the whole case to put in a display stand. I collect Texaco items and if I found a test market can for them, I would be trying hard to get one...or two..or all. LOL. As to value, I can’t help there. You might try putting one on eBay and see how it goes. Hopefully others will weigh in.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
I
OP Offline
I
Thank you, Alex. First, I can guarantee you that the can and its partners in the cardboard case are real. I believe that the test cans were produced at QS's Rouseville plant near Oil City. I fully expected others to weigh-in on the cans after your post, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Can I interpret that to be a lack of interest or concern about the "realness" of the can? Re: your suggestion of trying to value a can by an eBay post, I just hesitate to do that and break up the case, but it might be the only way to establish value.

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved