Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
What do you do on a rainy day in California?

Start a new Showcase!

While looking through some old local newspapers I noticed that some of the service stations were using cartoons to advertise. I’ve also picked up some Service Reminder cards that feature cartoons or cartoon characters. I thought it might be fun to share some “Gas Station Humor” and see what everyone else has in their collection.

Remember, keep it light, keep it fun and keep it clean!

Here are some examples from my collection and research.

This cartoon is from around 1955. Lunde's Chevron used cartoons to get attention for their ads throughout the 50's.

This "New Yorker" style cartoon was used by Seaside in 1926. Seaside had a strong presence in the area since they were based in Summerland, about 50 miles south of Solvang.

The Union 76 Minuteman is my personal favorite service station character. He's such a cute little cartoon guy always on the run to provide that "Minute Man" service.

I've got more cartoons to post later, but let's see what you've got in your collection. If you need me to post photos for you send them my way thepoormansmuseum@verizon.net .

------------------
C Cragg
www.poormansmuseum.com

C Cragg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
Great Idea P-MAN......As a teenager working pumping gas at the local KYSO station,I loved those cartoons and the risque ladies in the magazines....
These are from the Standard Oil Dealer News January 1953.

I have done this many times I always wondered why people did not know what side there gas fill was on.

LETS SEE SUM MORE........REX

[This message has been edited by Kysoilman (edited 02-22-2005).]

T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
Al Barrows (Ranchpump) sent me this cartoon to share with you. C'mon, you guys have got to have some more toons.

Caption, "For God's sake, call a Policeman!"

[This message has been edited by the poor mans museum (edited 02-22-2005).]

C Cragg
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
Here's some hillbilly postcard humor. Found this at a local antique mall. Think the card is from around 1949?

Now lets see some cartoons!

C Cragg
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
Some more cartoons from Al Barrows and his comments.

"Curt,

I'll bet many oldgassers are fans of Gus Wilson and the Model Garage...those wonderful stories that appeared in Popular Science Magazine from the 20's through the 60's. Here are a couple of those small cartoons typical of those embedded in the stories. Harmless, but each reminds those who recall the past of aspects of gas station history that no longer apply.

Ranchpump"

C Cragg
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
These 2 trade cards are from Moore Oil Co.offices in Cincinnati,Ohio. I collect local oil company stuff the first one is dated 1914,the other 1915.The detail is outstanding.
THE FIRST ONE LOOKS LIKE OUR OWN T2T BRIDGE JUMPEN..
THE SECOND IS OUR OWN LASTGAS BOB YELLING AT KAREN WHEN THE FUEL PUMP WENT OUT..

T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
We can't be the only ones that collect gas station humor. Where are those cartoons?

Here's a Prestone Antifreeze service card, front and back.

Back

C Cragg
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
Well since Al, Rex and I are the only ones that can come up with gas station cartoons I decided to search ebay to see if there was any gas station humor for sale.

Here's what I found....

C Cragg

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved