Next Thread
Print Thread
#91883 Sun Oct 30 2005 07:12 AM
R
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
Went to an auction yesterday at the site of this old gas station. Thought the sign that fell over on top of the roof was neat.

Talked to the former owners daughter and grandson. They said the sign says "Horton's". The grandson remembers climbing on the roof when he was a kid and poping out the jewels in the sign that light came through when it was lit.

Also had a neat light pole next to the station that was made for/by Bowser. Anyone know what a light like this might be worth?

Also next door to this building was what was left of the original gas station.

Unfortunatly not much gas stuff at the auction. I picked up an old sign hanger and a Neihoff tune-up cabinet from the early 1960's.

[This message has been edited by RARIN TO GO (edited 10-30-2005).]

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#91884 Sun Oct 30 2005 12:08 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I have a couple of Hortons roadmaps from around 1940. One lists Hortons service stations at Fort Lupton, 9700 West Colfax in Denver area, Steamboat Springs, Craig, and Mount Streeter on Highway 13..all in Colorado. Their slogan was "The Busy Service Stations". They were marketers of Wilcox gas & oils out of Tulsa, Oklahoma.

#91885 Sun Oct 30 2005 07:20 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
Yes speedway. This was the Fort Lupton station.
Can you post pictures of the maps or email me pictures. I would like to see them. I was unaware of this Colorado marketer until this weekend.
Chris

#91886 Sun Oct 30 2005 07:32 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Is the sign on the roof for sale? That would be a nice one to get But then to get it down lol

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
#91887 Sun Oct 30 2005 09:23 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
Gasoildude
Sounds like the new owner of this property is going to level everything. While looking at the sign and taking pictures a guy walked up and looked up to see what I was looking at and I said "that's a cool sign...You don't know anyone with a boom truck...do you." Turns out that is what he and his father-in-law do. They said $125 an hour and it would take the full hour but they didn't want to go on the roof to strap it and remove any connected brackets. I just felt that because of it's size (probably at least 20'x3') and the fact that it was a painted sign with many of the jewels gone that it wasn't worth persuing it. I sure don't have the space for a sign that size and would it be worth it even once restored. Sound like the new owners close on the property this week.
chris

#91888 Mon Oct 31 2005 07:17 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Chris if it is going to be destroyed & can be bought I would be interested in it. I have plenty of room for it. You can email me if you like. Just hate to see a sign destroyed if you know what I meen

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
#91889 Mon Oct 31 2005 07:46 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
gasoildude
I left my number with the old owner to pass on to the new owner about the light pole. If I hear from them I will ask about the sign and email you. I would hate to see it destroyed too so if we can save it that would be great. And if I get the light pole the truck will already be there.
chris

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved