Page 1 of 2 1 2
#92637 Sat Mar 04 2006 10:40 AM
L
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L

“Okay, Let’s have some fun.???”
We are ready to complete a 1930’s Canopy Style Texaco Filling Station. Since this website, “oldgas.com” is the greatest site for gas and oil collecting, (thanks, Jim) and we all enjoy this fantastic hobby. I would like everyone’s opinion on finishing the final touches, ie: painting the eves and facia, island top and sides, letters, signs, neon lighting, etc. This will be for everyone to visit and enjoy and reminisce about the good ole days. Let’s FILL-ER-UP with HIGH-OCTANE good ideas.
VAROOM……LET’S GO!!
Thanks, Larry

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#92638 Sat Mar 04 2006 11:51 AM
K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
Hi Larry, beautiful station! Are you building it in your yard? I posted a picture of an old Mcall Frontenac-Texaco station in Saskatoon here, circa around 1947. This station is still here in the original lot. It's now a heritage site and is a City Police area precinct I guess is the best description. It has been restored back to look like the old Texaco station it once was. I will have to go down town and snap a picure of it in it's current state. They even put an old Gilbarco pump out front. It's kinda the same style as your station. Maybe tomorrow if it's nice and sunny, I will pop down and snap a picture of it and maybe it will give you an idea of finishing yours. I think they were fairly close in the colors, etc in the resto. Again Larry, AWSOME! Talk to ya later.
Ken.

[This message has been edited by Ken Bird (edited 03-04-2006).]

#92639 Sun Mar 05 2006 06:10 PM
L
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
Hi Ken Thank you for replying. Yes, our building is in our back yard. When you get a chance and the weather is nice, I would like to see a picture of the Texaco Station in Saskatoon, so it would show the color scheme. I already have one idea for the lollipop pole from the picture you sent. I am going to put TEXACO on the pole. Thanks again...Larry

#92640 Sun Mar 05 2006 07:08 PM
K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
You got it Larry! It may not be until the weekend as I gotta work, and it will give the snow a chance to melt a bit so we can see the roof colors better.We'll keep in touch and talk later.
Ken.

#92641 Sun Mar 05 2006 09:10 PM
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Great picture ken and perfect timing 1947 red indian was almost gone. Ok pump experts what are they. I could not get a great look ( I am sure that doc could get us a little closer to the pumps mabe. I think two g and b visibles and a wayne 60 which is rare to see in canada ( the 60). It is also pretty unusual to see any visibles other than clearvision at a red indian station. I am glad to see you got the ba pin and it will make its home in a nice ba collection

ward

#92642 Thu Mar 09 2006 07:05 AM
L
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
A special thanks to Ed Poffenberger for sending me the 1939 color chart for service stations. There was a lot of great information about the complete painting of the Texaco service stations. If anyone else needs this information, contact me. I really appreciate this Ed. Thanks again, Larry

#92643 Wed Mar 22 2006 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I know there are some great places now that are selling LARGE signs that would look killer on this station of yours, like http://www.huskyliners.com/signpast.html - heck did you see they now have 42" Round Texaco Signs !!!!!!!!! LARGE REPO SIGNS!!!!! YEA...

But does anyone know if there is a company that is makeing Red Indian large signs?

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

[This message has been edited by travis_towle (edited 10-06-2008).]

#92644 Thu Mar 23 2006 09:44 AM
B
B
I had a wonderful conversation with Larry Nace today regarding his Texaco Station. Larry, thank you for your time.

Many thanks to Travis Towle for posting the Sign Past website in this forum.

We would be happy to answer questions about the history behind our reproduction signs.

Best regards,

Bennett
Sign Past

#92645 Thu Mar 23 2006 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks GREAT Larry!!! Can't wait to see more pictures.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#92646 Thu Mar 23 2006 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bennett,
Are the signs you reproduce marked or dated as reproductions?

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

#92647 Thu Mar 23 2006 01:00 PM
L
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
Thanks Bob for the comments on the gas station. I talked to Bennett this morning and we discussed about putting dates and reproduction on them. I think that is very important. Thanks, Larry

#92648 Thu Mar 23 2006 03:27 PM
L
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
Thanks Travis for the website address for the 42" Texaco sign. I called and ordered one today. It is really going to look good on the front with a pocelain light over it. Travis...YOU THE MAN!!!! Thanks, Larry

#92649 Thu Mar 23 2006 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You got it! I can not WAIT to see what your station looks like with that sign!!!

========================================
As this subject has been discussed again and again on this site I do not want to open a new thread on it, and I have already been warned not to post anything that would be controversial… BUT since we have a newbie to the site that makes these signs and you will be talking to him Larry I am hoping to post an idea about dates and reproduction stamps on things. While it is necessary for us to define that an item is no longer original, please keep this in mind. In my opinion the dates are the best thing to use. That gives the item a new collector feel - today you pay more for reproduction globes that we bought back in the early 90's that have the famous "September 1983" printed on them.. THOSE ARE COLLECTABLE TODAY because they are antiques in a way, but the ones that were stamped "reproduction" are not and will never be collectable because we have no way of defining just how old they are.

This is just my hardcore opinion and position on things being marked. I NEVER BUY and will NEVER buy a globe again that says “reproduction” on it. IF it is dated or marked “officially licensed product” then I will shell out some bucks for it.
========================================

Good luck on the station it looks great so far! And welcome to the website Bennett, I have been looking at your site for about a year now = soon I will be buying from you too!

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

#92650 Thu Mar 23 2006 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Travis,
I couldn't disagree with you more.
Those September 1983 globes have ZERO collector interest.
The best thing for the hobby is to mark them REPRODUCTION. There are people that think "licensed by" globes and signs are original.
"Reproduction" is best, dates are second, followed by "limited edition", and then "licensed by". I'm not talking about what is best for any one person or manufacturer, but what is best for the hobby.

#92651 Thu Mar 23 2006 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Maybe I am being miss-understood when I say "Collector Value of a September 1983 globe”. To me they have a MUCH higher value then ones marked reproduction or officially licensed product. Heck I think back to when I was in the 3rd grade in 1983. To the hardcore collectors like you these reproductions or all reproductions for that matter do not mean as much and can only de-value your personal collection if they are marked incorrectly or not marked at all. Time is the key.

I personally pay, and I have seen others pay upwards of $125.00 for those older reproductions with the "September 1983" dates on them. I figure if I am going to "invest" my money in a reproduction globe “that is all I own as far as glass goes” I want my kids to at least have some respect for the age of the item when the year is 2083. I look at it this way, those globes marked 1983 will be 100 years old then and they can prove there age! But all of the ones marked reproduction, or limited edition, or officially licensed product might as well have been made in 2082...

I own a TIOGA globe today that is NOT marked, or Dated in any way and I need some help from you to ID it. I am not sure if it is real or not and maybe you can help me tell? That is a problem, as I could pass it off to someone for a killing if it turns out to be good fake by telling them it is real. That is why we all agree that these things MUST to be marked.

Today Vic’s Place, Webers, Gas Pump Heaven, Time Passages, Automobila, and others have lost my business as far as globes go because of the single word stamped in the glass forever at the bottom saying “reproduction”. I now only order my globes from Kelly at Pergl and she knows that I when I call for a globe it is to have a “DATE STAMP” on it and no “reproduction” stamp on it or I do not take it, if she can she will find a dated one for me. I also order lots of globes from Service Station Nostalgia in Canada at a much higher cost because of their dating method that is “SSN 2001” as seen on my newest Red Head Ethel globe. From time to time I can buy the older dated reproduction globes on ebay for a higher price of $95.00 up so that should tell you that this type of dating system is not just my preferred globe.

Just my FYI, and if you can help me on how to ID that TIOGA globe please contact me ASAP by email.

Thanks in advance!

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved