Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#356147 Sun Sep 16 2012 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I had an auction brochure with 2 Wayne clockfaces on it and I headed 180 miles to the south west to see if by chance that other pump hunters had not seen the ad! When I arrived, it was only a short time before the auction start and I was in a hurry to get a bidding number but I was stopped short by someone calling out my name??? What the heck? Here was another Old Gasser from North Dakota and his father, sitting in their van waiting for the auction to start.
Straight to the point answered my question--they were here for the pumps! A quick discussion and we figured out that not all was lost as there weren't any other pump buyers in attendance , as far as we knew. I got the bright idea to share the pumps as we were both wanting them and had driven the distance. We decided that we would share the purchase and they would have first pick. It was only fair since they were there first!
I then got the bright idea that since the pumps were covered, I should head for another auction about 100 miles to the east! They were willing to stay for the pumps and transport them to their shop and notify me of the price! GREAT!
I headed for the next auction and got there before much was sold but it didn't take long to see such outrageous prices, that I soon abandoned ship for a possible 3 rd sale on the way home! I was able to get there about 2/3 of the way thru the sale and it was somewhat like the second sale, in that people were spending WAY too much on the stuff! I stuck around for about an hour and any item that I might have been interested in was done, so I put the Chevy in gear and headed for home.
I was only a few miles down the road when I got the call on the pumps! We were successful and both pumps were now at his shop and I could pick mine up when the opportunity comes! A question on price brought out the fact that while there weren't any pump buyers in the crowd, there were some people interested in this stuff and our bid limits had been hit but we did own the pumps!
Pretty hectic day with a lot of miles but I did get a Wayne Clockface out of the deal with a little help from my friends! If I had stayed, we would have been bid-battling for a couple pumps and we both found out it was much better to share! That made it a great day!
Last thing tho--the pump without skins is a Wayne 861 but what the heck is this other pump? Its marked as a Wayne but it doesn't seem to be in Jacks book? Any help on the ID?

Wayne pump duo!.png Wayne pump duo 2.png Wayne pump duo 3.png Wayne pump duo 5.png

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Teamwork and co-operation definitely has it's rewards.

Tough to tell from the picture...looks like a Wayne 40 to me.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
40 is a 6 wheel computer pump.

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
The clock face may be an American. The top has an American look to it.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
MATT... It is a American with out the light shade bezels.. Tom

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I just checked the book. It is an American 207.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like the 34 next to wall Better! LOL

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kevin,

I wish more people were like that. It seems I show up at an auction and it ends up an all out war. It is really nice to see that this hobby has people that are considerate and willing to share the wealth.

Nice score by the way!

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I think Matts right, its an American 207. The picture in Jacks book is EXACTLY the same.
It has a Wayne face plate in it. Did Wayne build the clock mechanisms for them or probably some repairman used whatever he had for parts?

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
Wayne 851 faces were prob easier to find. Americans faded out faster.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm mostly blind..... Need bigger photos.... LOL

Congrats to you Kevin and the other party!

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As Jack Sim's has said many times, most faces were made by another company for the pump companies. Most Clock Mech. were made by Neptune/Red Seal to pump company specs.
Glass was ordered from a Glass Companies [flat, curved, cylinders lg. & sm., etc], not made by Pump Companies.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I went to an auction in Allentown 5-6 years ago, hoping to get a few Gulf signs I needed...the signs were offered in lots, and I didn't need but one or two out of a couple of the lots......I looked around and was surprised to recognize a couple that I had known for years from Mason-Dixon and other shows...we discussed the items offered, and quickly realized that we had both planned to bid on a couple of the same lots...we figured it would be a bad idea to run the items up bidding against each other - they were there looking to bid on many more lots than I was, and I was willing to pay more for the Gulf signs I wanted than they wanted to pay...so we figured out what the items they wanted from the lots I planned to bid on were worth, and I bid knowing what I could pay just for the items I wanted...it worked out great - I got all but one of the signs I came for, and they got signs they needed for their collection, plus extras to sell!

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I went to an auction that had a pump with 2 Texaco Diesel plates. A guy I had seen at several auctions, but had never spoken with was looking at the pump. He asked if i was interested and told him just int he plates. He wanted one of the plates. We pooled our resources and each plate cost us about $90 each....a good price. As i went to pay the auction house, a guy approached and asked if we would sell the pump for $100. It was a very common pump and we said sure. So the plates cost us $40 each. sometimes it pays to cooperate.....

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice score Kevin! Work out great for both of you…...

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved