Next Thread
Print Thread
#101295 Mon Mar 15 2004 08:50 AM
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
My sons & i headed out 30 miles to a newer ski slope Sunday BUT the wind was really blowing so the chairlifts were blowing around & they shut all of them down. (would have been a wicked ride to the top on any of the lifts & some are way way way off the ground! LOL!)
but while i was in the chalet (an old church) i was inspecting a 1948 porcelain mobilgas aviation sign about 10 feet long & 6 feet high they have it on display in there, i guess there was an old airport near the slopes & the owners let the ski hill borrow the sign for display. the whole sign came porcelain with the mobilgas aviation on the bottom 1/2 & room for the top 1/2 to be painted with whatever, & this one said Holtorf airport with a big arrow on it.
it is really nice! but i had no camera along. i will next time!
we decided to go beat around on some gravel roads awhile & wait for the wind to die. we hunted around & found nothing & after a hour the wind died but we decided to forget sking & just beat around & we pulled into an old abandon construction place. a couple of old trucks that were burnt & a pile of scrap iron here & there. i didnt think there would be anything id even want there but we poked around & right away my son picked a NICE 36 ford truck grill out of a scrap pile, & laying next to it was a 36-B clockface - face down frozen in the mud. flat potmetal top, no front or rear skins but good & complete otherwise. we dug around a bit more thinkin maybe we would find the skins? & i found a pan just like my 36-B showcase has but it was run over by a D-9 Cat. junk! (maybe a showcase?!!) i never spotted the front or rear skins but there is snow down & maybe they are buried there?! --- i called the owner of the place when we got home & its all getting crushed so take what you want!!! good deal ill be back to get my goodies when it thaws out.

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#101296 Mon Mar 15 2004 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
GO GO Tommy..great..Keep us updated..finding a 36b is more fun than skiing anyday IMO

------------------
Hubba the GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Shoreline WA

[This message has been edited by djhubba (edited 03-15-2004).]

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#101297 Mon Mar 15 2004 09:14 AM
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
yes it is & at 37.00 each for lift tickets & 14.00 for ski rental X 3 then lunch it way more fun to find a pump!

a friend of mine called me right away this morn. & he handed the phone to a guy he knows & we talked & he has 43 gas pumps, etc...!!!???!!!
I CAN NOT believe the number of guys who collect gas-oil related stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just in this area alone i find out about some collector i never knew of before ALLLLLLL THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!! --- as we talked he told me about a couple of other guys! - he told me things were dried up around here & he had the whole area scouted out & I LAUGHED & said OH NO I DONT THINK SO!
i told him to stop by & id show him what i had just found in the last year alone!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

#101298 Mon Mar 15 2004 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thats right..you the MAN.,,LOL It isnt like the old days though..your not tripping over pumps right under your nose...Now you have to search and "dig"..LOL. I think most people are either too lazy or dont have much time for the hunt. Its cool to meet collectors who are close yo unever knew about...Thats way cool.

------------------
Hubba the GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Shoreline WA

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#101299 Mon Mar 15 2004 09:39 AM
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
YES! LOL!!! search & dig to find it, CLAW & FIGHT to own it!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!

#101300 Mon Mar 15 2004 05:59 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Cool Story! I wish there were some places like that around me. On my last hunt, I spotted a farm with a M&S 80, tall with the Cyclops top, and a tall bennett (don't know the #). No one was home, and as I was backing down their drive way, the owner of the farm pulled in. I asked him if he would sell them, but he said no. "They are part of the farm" he said. Then he told me that lots of people stop in and ask him to sell them, so that tells me that the whole area is cleared of pumps
-Mike

#101301 Mon Mar 15 2004 09:47 PM
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
Mike618b ive stopped to buy pumps & got the same story. ive also stopped to buy pumps & i asked if anyone ever stopped to ask about them before & they told me nobody has ever asked about it before & then looked at me real weird like WHO WOULD WANT THAT JUNK?! LOL!

PUMPS ARE OUT THERE! just harder to find. i got a wayne 60 this summer i drove past thousands of times for years & so did everyone else without spotting it!
I also remember at one time thinking that there are no pumps left around here, but its been about 16 years since i first started buying pumps & these last 2-3 years ive reeled in more pumps per year than ever & im kinda choosey what i want to bring home.

SEEK AND YOU SHALL FIND!!!
THEY ARE OUT THERE!!!!!!!!

#101302 Wed Mar 17 2004 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with you Tom. Dig and dig deeper! They are out there still. Great story!! LOL over and over.

Rob

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved