Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#184483 Sat Apr 24 2010 07:38 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Bought this Seloil cabinet today thought it would be good to restore and buy some cans to put in it, I knew it was very heavy for some reason and when I figured out how to open the bottom where there was a sliding drawer there was 15 old distributor in the bottom of it. I like the sliding doors and the hidden drawer in the bottom. I guess this is from the 60's but I do not know much about these cabinets.

can cabinet 1.jpg can cabinet 222.jpg can cabinet 3.jpg can cabinet 4.jpg

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
coheley5 #184539 Sun Apr 25 2010 07:09 AM
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Thats pretty cool. What is the sliding door for? I have a vague recollection of seeing that back in my childhood.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Vermonter #184551 Sun Apr 25 2010 08:16 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
It looks like you placed the used oil cans in it and they driped into the pan below , Or maybe if you did not use all the oil in a can it would just sit in there til needed.

coheley5 #184763 Mon Apr 26 2010 11:02 AM
The Seloil brand of oil display cabinets were manufactured by Modern Metal Products of Greensboro, NC. They made them in a number of different configurations. Some designs had either lift-off or roll up doors to cover the cans at night to prevent theft. Some of the cabinets had removable advertising signs in the top or bottom for the brand of oil being sold. Once in a while these signs show up on ebay. The remaining cabinets don't seem to be very common today, and often the doors, signs, or other hardware might be missing. You are correct regarding the drip tray and pan below it. In your last photo, notice the "wings" on either side of the drip tray. On my cabinet, these wings were used to move a mechanism which would lock the other doors closed when the drip tray was slid closed. The key lock would then prevent entry into the whole cabinet. You can get an idea of age from the patent numbers if you have the nameplate. Follow this link to see photos of a cabinet that looks a lot like yours. http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/seloil-oil-display-rack
Also, if anyone is interested, Matthews Auctions has another type of Seloil cabinet restored in Sunoco colors up for auction on May 15th. Hope this info helps you out.

engineer #184764 Mon Apr 26 2010 11:14 AM
I just realized this forum does not allow links. Sorry, did not mean to break any rules.

engineer #184787 Mon Apr 26 2010 02:43 PM
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Engineer, Its news to me that links arent allowed, I've seen lots of links here, but maybe I need a refresher course on the rules. In any event, I dont think you will get the death penalty.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Vermonter #184791 Mon Apr 26 2010 03:05 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for the info ,I will look at the Id. tag and get pat. numbers I would like to know the date.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved