Click here for Original Gas Pump Plate auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Started in 1884 by my great grandfather, L. D. Sharp, Sharp's Country Store in Slatyfork, WV started selling petroleum products for those new-fangled things called auto-mobiles. The first order of gasoline was delivered by horse and wagon. Standard Oil was the brand and we still have the Gilbert & Barker visible pumps (with original lenses) and several old signs. We had a large oval ESSO sign in the 1950s, but it was hit by the boom of a lumber truck (the sign literally hung right over the road) and my grandfather stored it in our cellar house. I inherited the farm and store 12 years ago. I found the sign and pulled it out, cleaned it and hung it on the wall in our store. Years later, a fellow from Seneca Rocks stopped in and was determined to buy one of my old Standard Oil signs. We got to talking and I confessed that the only why I 'might' let the sign go would be if he could find me a pole just like the one we used to have that the ESSO sign hung on. Three days later Leonard appeared with a flatbed semi and there it was, the exact pole! We did the trade. Several weeks later, pole wire-brushed and painted, slab with electric line poured, dried and painted, we righted the pole and hung the old ESSO sign! It was an exciting adventure and I am so glad to have part of our legacy flying high, again. Thought you all might like a chronology of my adventures in that regard........

newESSOsigninstallationSHARPSoldgas.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
great story & glad its back in place .. ... cool

RANDY
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Super cool!

Collecting Mobiloil, Mobilgas, Mobilmarine, Metro, General Petroleum, looking for Mobil variations I do not have, thank you Steve
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That looks great! Nice to see a family history item back in its proper place. Well done!

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very cool !!!

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Have you had any 'old timers' stop by and reminisce when the sign was last up? Might give you some interesting stories about the store and your grandfather...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cool!!

Braden Splichal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks fantastic!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved