Wayne 60, the Cadillac collectible of tall computer pumps. Brother oldgasser THE AMERICAN GARAGE guessed this featured pump a few days ago at the speed of light.
As many of you have figured out I am not much of an authority on gas pumps but I am an enthusiastic collector with a computer, an internet connection and enough catalyst to generate some good info and pictures that comes 100% from you oldgassers. Please participate heavily in this March POTM, you guys are the ones that make the POTM wheel turn.
I invite you all to send in your pictures, stories, info, etc. on all versions of the Wayne 60. Also please include these different versions along with the basic 60;

* narrow version (60-A)
* showcase models (55, 56, 60-S, 65-S)
* twin models (65 & 66)
* clockface model (866)
* any other versions I have overlooked

The Wayne 60 was introduced in 1935. Wayne, the most innovative gas pump company in the US hit a home run with this design. I can't remember where I read this but the story goes something like this;
"The Great Depression hit everyone hard, especially the many American gas pump manufacturers. Wayne quickly realized that if they didn't come up with a savior pump that they would fall by the wayside as so many of their competitors were. Wayne put together a diverse team of their engineers, production managers, employee wives and even a few art designers to come up with a pump that would be a benchmark for the American pump industry and keep the factory lights on at The Wayne Company. The model 60 result speaks for itself, the 57 Chevy of our great hobby." (the preceeding is not a quote from any reading material, it's my version from memory in a nut shell)
In the early 1900's there were scores and scores of US pumps manufacturers but today there are only three and Wayne is one of them. That says a lot about their strength and long term mentality!

It's safe to say that many computer pumps look somewhat similar at a glance but the Wayne 60 has a perfect design and it's appearance is in a class of it's own. The 60 is a combination of compound curves, flat lines, a pretty face, ornate trim and the unmistakable hips that remind me of a beautiful woman. (The 60-A which has no hips still reminds me of a beautiful woman too for that matter.)

The Wayne Company has, in my opinion, been the most innovative pump company in the US. Wayne developed a "perfect" computer that was so perfectly designed it is still used today. This milestone was licensed to the Veeder-Root company to produce. Granted the high tech electronic LED computers have replaced the Veeder-Root meters but there are still thousands of Veeder-Roots in service today.
Wayne is also credited for building the first stand alone visible pump in 1920 but I cannot take this statement to the bank. Even though I read this somewhere I see where Fleckenstein had a visible pump in 1919 versus the Wayne in 1920. This would be a good subject for oldgassers to expound upon because it's basically a contradiction of "who was first".

Please post any pictures you have, unrestored or restored and anything in between. Some pictures of a Wayne 60 in the process of being restored would really be neat! Feel free to e-mail me any pictures and info that you would like me to post for you. I have several pictures that I will submit off and on within the next week or so.

Well, it's late, I'm wore out and I do hope this POTM opener is okay. WARNING- I can say that right now I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but the 21st is now and the show must go on! A good night's sleep should remedy my weariness though!! I'm so physically tired that I may have trouble going to sleep tonight. IDEA: I might try counting Wayne 60's and give the sheep the night off. LOL
Happy hunting,

Neal Dunn gpf