Next Thread
Print Thread
#421216 Sat Jun 08 2013 04:37 PM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
I think it's quite obvious that fakes being sold as originals is an issue to any guy who is seriously in this hobby. However, as Bob Richards said in another thread, they have always been and will probably always be. And that is not where the problem lies. The problem, I think, most would agree, is having fakes sold as original.
Now it is my feeling that quite a few of the flippers dont even know what they are selling. And if they buy a sign being told it is original, then they try to sell it as original and they are not even aware of their wrong.
Now personally, due to my own lack of experience, I rarely will say anything to ebay sellers about what I think is a fake because I'm just not that skilled. But I have picked up some things here on Oldgas, and when possible, I do speak up a little. Hoping I'm not putting my foot in my mouth.
So the other day, after all the recent talk about the round Texaco plates, I felt ever so slightly qualified to say something to a seller. So I pointed the seller to one of the Oldgas conversations about his piece, and here is the listing number and what I wrote him.

Dear tallas7117,
Hello, You have a ton of VERY nice pieces. And please understand that I am not attacking you. However I had to write you about this sign. This sign is a reproduction. You can read all about these signs here. http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=420449&page=1 Several of these people discussing this sign here are long time Texaco collectors and really know what they are talking about. This sign was not made in a 9" size. I just wanted to point this out to you in hopes that you would re-write your listing and contact any who have bid on this piece in order to let them know what you now know. There are many of us who are on sort of a campaign to help people identify these repops in order to help stop the polluting of our hobby. As I said, this is not an attack on you in any way. I'm sure you probably just didn't know.

So this was his response.

Hello!Thank you!!! I really dislike reproductions. I took the item down yesterday because I don't want to sell any reproductions. The guy I bought it from said that it was original and I went off of that. I really like what you are doing.
ThanksChris

So we have to keep up the fight as some seller are more than open to learning about this hobby as much as any of us. I will continue to educate myself as well and do all that I can. Fakes being taunted as originals is the most frustrating part of this hobby for me. But we can put a dent in it. I think this interaction shows that.
I'm going to write him back and tell him, that if he truley wants to be educated and be a serious seller, then he should join Oldgas and learn all that he can about the hobby.

Just thought I would share one good story in the fight against fakes being sold as originals.
P.S. I sure hope I was correct about this guys sign.

Last edited by SC62; Sat Jun 08 2013 04:38 PM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You were right. It's a repop/fantasy sign in that size.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Would someone please look at ebay seller fentonlover13 and tell me what signs are fake .DDkinsey posted that this seller,s signs are fake .I can't see where they are any different than the ones I own. I hope that mine are not fake .Some of mine where given to me by my Dad .Like the Mcath-Axilrod

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved