Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#522517 Sat Mar 22 2014 09:17 AM
BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
For all of you that partake in ebay selling, please allow me to give some advice (and vent).

When you list an item, be sure you have accurately calculated your shipping costs. You can't just list the shipping at $20 and then try and invoice the buyer for more & for insurance costs, etc. Insurance covers the seller, not the buyer... so asking the buyer if they want insurance makes no sense to me. When an insurance claim is filed with a carrier, it is suppose to be filed by the sender, and the payment is sent to the SELLER not the buyer.

The reason for all this? I just bought a sign on ebay that had shipping listed at around $30. Now the seller is sending me messages asking if I'd like to pay for insurance and to wait for an invoice because he has to go buy a whole bunch of crating & packaging materials, etc.

I have sold on ebay, and I understand sometimes you can miscalculate shipping... but you just have to eat those costs & show more due diligence next time you list something.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Common sense .................. goes a long way . Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I, in some ways disagree. Why should the seller (really or the buyer) have to cover insurance - which I feel mostly is for lost items since I know how to package an item correctly. In all honesty the cost should be split evenly, and told so in the ad that shipping is what it is to ensure against loss. Because really why should the seller be responsible for the actions of the post office. I figure if you bought the item and want some sort of guarantee that the item gets to you then in my listings I give the option to request insurance. None do. Fortunately nothing has gotten lost. I do understand your feelings though, especially if the person does not know how to package an item correctly.

As an aside.... A couple of days ago I bought an item and it said wait for an invoice thought the shipping was clearly stated. When I went to check out (a while after the purchase and invoice was already sent) there was an extra charge added for insurance because it was going by priority mail and not by first class. I did not see how to choose just first class mail until my computer was in the sending payment mode and it looked like I could have unchecked a box. Oh well. Sure wish I saw the option earlier.

Last edited by Fueluser; Sat Mar 22 2014 03:58 PM. Reason: clified loss is really lost items
BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
an item can't go first class thru USPS unless it is 13 ounces or less in weight.

I do understand that insurance benefits both parties... but if an item arrives damaged. The buyer can simply return it and open a case for a refund thru ebay. If a seller wants insurance on an item, I dont blame them at all, but the original stated shipping cost should include that. There is no such thing as 'add-on' costs after the auction has ended.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
You don't need insurance if you're paying with paypal. Ebay and Paypal are both so slanted for the buyer (you) if the item arrives broken or damaged, they're going to give you your $$ back. Sellers that still want buyers to pay for insurance,or say "no returns" in their listings are just dreaming these days.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The Seller owns the item until it reaches the Buyer in condition sold. Seller has the responsibility of insuring that item is well protected & should arrive in condition as sent.
Expecting the buyer to pay for insurance is like asking other drivers to buy Insurance for YOUR CAR so you can drive while intoxicated!

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Seller is responsible for getting the item to the buyer safe and sound.

Bidder is responsible for asking questions prior to bidding if something is not clearly stated, such as if insurance is included in the shipping costs.

Paypal will side with buyer if item does not arrive safe and sound and refund all their money, which you should share with your seller so they can cover THEIR butt.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved