Next Thread
Print Thread
#349717 Mon Aug 20 2012 02:52 AM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
So I picked this up for $455. Well $475 with shipping. Good price or not?

I'm kind of new to this so spending that kind of money has me a little freaked. But I just have a soft spot for Sunoco.

asdfasdfasdfasdfasf.jpg porcelain.jpg

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Steven C. #349726 Mon Aug 20 2012 05:46 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
(Just saying...not bragging).....I bought a doubled sided version a few years ago for about 1/2 of what you paid. I felt $250 was reasonable despite the fact that the yellow on both sides were somewhat faded which is what yours looks like unless it's just poor lighting.

I'm not saying you overpaid, but if you like Sunoco and felt good about what you paid....there's nothing more to say. It's an oldie and not one you see really often.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Well of course i wish it had gone cheaper. But I do like it very much and look very forward to seeing it hanging in my garage!!! Thanks for the info!!

Steve Coppens
Steven C. #349818 Mon Aug 20 2012 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...nice sign...but $20 to ship that large of a sign? You might want to make sure the seller is 'motivated' enough to do a careful job of packing it for the journey, 'cos it's going to cost a lot more than $20 to ship, IMO...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #349826 Mon Aug 20 2012 02:43 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The seller may have wanted to make people felt like they got a "good deal" on the shipping because the profit margin on the sign was so high. Sometimes if I get a good deal on a sign I cut the buyer a break on shipping when I sell.

Eddy Smith
Call or Text: 678-232-4637
E-mail: eddysmithjr@gmail.com
Always looking for pump plates or small signs!
Here's Your Sign #349832 Mon Aug 20 2012 03:03 PM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
In actuality, the seller asked me to call him which i did. He said that he found out that he couldn't ship something that big through USPS, UPS, or FedEx. True or not I don't know. So what he is doing in order to honor his sale, he is actually driving the thing himself from central Pa. to the northern Detroit suburbs. So big kudo's to him!!!

So. It looks like I over paid. Damn ebay auctions!! Oh well. I love it and it is going to look awesome in my garage!!

Steve Coppens
Steven C. #349871 Mon Aug 20 2012 05:12 PM
B
B
If it would help I live Youngstown OH and will be going to Detroit for a Tigers game Labor Day weekend. You two PM me if I can help out.

Burtuckyboy #349926 Tue Aug 21 2012 04:54 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...the seller's telling the truth regarding shipping...and I don't think you overpaid...

...and regarding your other post: if you're tired of paying top dollar, you might want to consider another hobby, like Beanie Babies...I'm kidding of course, but you can't just sit at home and 'get all the good deals'...you either have to get out-and-about and spend the time, or you have to pay a middleman to do it...go to shows and network with other collectors/dealers...they're not going to sell stuff to you wholesale, but when you get to the point where you're looking to specialize, they'll help you find what you're looking for...to advanced collectors, most of the time a good deal means just FINDING what you're looking for...if you tell all your friends that you want this stuff, that might help, but there's no shortcut to building a nice collection, unless you're very well-off, and can just sit back and buy it online...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #349948 Tue Aug 21 2012 06:42 AM
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
fyi, there is a big scam working in Pa. Internet buyers meet people to get their items. They are then held up at gun point for the cash they brought.
With his feed back I doubt this is one of those. Just wanted to point out that this is going on in central Pa.
also, one guy went to pickup his new camper and is now missing.

Last edited by always lookin; Tue Aug 21 2012 06:43 AM.
always lookin #350366 Thu Aug 23 2012 02:21 AM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: always lookin
fyi, there is a big scam working in Pa. Internet buyers meet people to get their items. They are then held up at gun point for the cash they brought.
With his feed back I doubt this is one of those. Just wanted to point out that this is going on in central Pa.
also, one guy went to pickup his new camper and is now missing.

In todays world of evil, (oh, and ugly gas pumps), of course I thought of this. The sign has already been paid by paypal so I wont have any cash on me. At least not any amount that's worth driving 800 miles for. Also I'm having him come to my work parking lot for the exchange, so there will be plenty of people around. Also I put my faith in God to protect me and mine form such evil. But thanks for the concern.

Steve Coppens
Steven C. #350432 Thu Aug 23 2012 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: SC62
Also I put my faith in God to protect me and mine from such evil.

AMEN to that !

Scott Baselt #350753 Fri Aug 24 2012 06:18 PM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
The guy dropped of the sign today. Drove 9 hours from central Pa to northern Detroit subs!! Wow!! I couldn't thank him enough for standing tall on the obligation to the auction.

I love it. The color is much better than the pics. I can't wait to get the acid to it and get it cleaned up.

BTW. It's definately porcelain. But the coating seems thinner than some of my other old peices. Any thoughts?

Also a strange story to this. He bought an old house to renovate. He was tearing apart a veritcal planked wall in the basement, and that is where he found the sign. IN THE WALL!! He contacted the person he bought the house from and they said that their grandfather had worked at a sunoco station. He tells me there are more walls to tear out. We're hoping he finds the arrows!!

Last edited by SC62; Fri Aug 24 2012 06:21 PM.

Steve Coppens

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved