I recognize on this site your not supposed to ask people to gift you money through paypal and I understand the reasoning behind that. But, i personally have a real problem with ebay and paypals greed.

Considering paypal is owned by the same company that owns ebay. I think its ridiculous that ebay get a 10% commission that includes money intended for shipping, forces you to use paypal, and then squeezes you for an additional 3% through a so called different company. Essentially taking two seperate commisions. Plus, as the seller, you are not provided the same protection the buyer gets. Meaning, the buyer gets a service for the 3% they give to paypal. Yet, the seller gets nothing in return for their 3%.

To those that contend they as the buyer need the protection because they dont know the seller and cant trust them. I understand that and dont disagree with them wanting that. At the same time, I dont think they are seeing the flip side to that coin. Sure, they could pay up front and receive nothing in return. But, the seller could send the item and have a fraudulent dispute made against them to paypal. Then be out the item and money they will be forced to refund paypal. Meaning, the seller actually has no protection even with paypal.

So, to those that say they cant buy something with no insurance. I ask them. Why should the seller trust you wont do them dirty? Why cant you as the buyer show some good faith if the seller is forced to do that for you? I wish more people would be open minded enough to consider both sides. Rather than purely seeing situations for how they effect them. Ebay could exist without paypal.

Even though many think that transactions couldnt be made through the internet if paypal wasnt offered. I personally beleive paypal is just one of many examples in our world of corporate greed. A result of Ebays recognition of an opportunity to fleece people out of the most money possible. Knowing that they can force your hand to use their company and pay their commisions by making it a rule on their site and you have no alternative place to go.

Sure, no one is forced to use Ebay and if I dont like their practices I can choose to not use the service they provide. Much easier said than done when there is no viable alternative that currently exists. Which Ironically is the beauty and kind of a down fall of a site like Old Gas. Were a legitimate alternative to ebay is provided free of charge. But, also unfortunately results in people taking advantage of this site by using it for a purpose it wasnt originally intended for.

I have no problem paying reasonable fees for a service provided. Truthfully, as much as most wouldnt like it to happen. I would have no problem with this site charging a reasonable fee to vendors.

My problem is with unreasonable fees. Being commisioned for shipping charges. For the millions upon millions ebay makes charging the commisions they do on all those sales everyday, then taking the rest of your money for something they should provide for free. I think they should provide an insured system for payment ( aka paypal) for free.

In my opinion, what they are doing would be the same thing as McDonalds charging people an additional fee to pay for their food. Having the cashiers presented as a seperate company that accepts payment. Just think if every company used that business model. The next thing you would know. Just to go eat a burger at McDonalds. It would cost 50 bucks. They would charge for the food, paying, napkins, sitting at a table, trash disposal, and lets not forget parking.
Maybe im wrong on this and im just frustrated. But, im sick of it. Ok, im stepping off my soap box. I have officially vented and now im gonna go meditate.

Last edited by Bbburke; Sun Feb 02 2014 03:40 PM.

Check out my finds at Mantiquities on Facebook!!!!

facebook.com/pages/Mantiquities/167580613447712