Oldgas.com Home  
Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
this is the second mobil aviation and also being made in mobil marine pumplate that i have seen in the last month. the first one i saw was mobil marine went thru private auction and sold for 1100 + 15% same auction house couple weeks later had the mobil aviation that sold for a little over 1200+ 15%. this one showed its face at a local show the measurements of these knockoffs are 12 1/2" wide X 12 1/4" height. everything by feel quick look seems so correct until you really take a close look and measurements. i let the guys know that its a knockoff and they re priced it accordingly. they truly are getting the near perfect feel on these signs. just a heads up i have a feeling you will start seeing more and wanted to let you know. i will also be posting more repops being sold as legit that are at this show in the next couple days.

009 Small Web view.jpg 011 Small Web view.jpg 012 Small Web view.jpg

tjccafferty@yahoo.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
That "Thing" is wrong in so many ways. It screams REPOP
!!!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree, it's pretty sloppy.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
The holes in the Rs don't even match up. Looks hand painted?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Brimfield Flea Market, ALWAYS a good selection of fake signs thrown in with furniture and china to intentionally fool people

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
would someone do a side by side comparison so we will know the differences?

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Thats great lets help the people that repro these signs so they can make them better! The more that is said on this site about where they made mistakes the better these signs will get. Best to keep info to a minimum. This post is not directed towards one person but everyone.

Last edited by 57tbirdkid; Wed May 09 2012 05:20 PM.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
i dont think you can do a side by side i dont believe they made a porcelain mobilgas aircraft. i believe it was mobilgas aviation keyhole tin sign i could be very wrong but i think it was a tin pump plate. and i am telling you picking it up and holding and feeling it, it has heavy shelving the back looks somewhat correct the weight is off and the lettering but it will easily fool many people as my point of one being bid up over 1k in private auction. it was still there today had not been sold and i think the guys are letting people know that its a repop actually every porcelain sign all 6 he bought coca cola 2 mobilgas plates and others were all repop all bought from same guy. i felt really bad super nice guys i took a gas oil book out to show them and they didnt even know they made books about signs and they were high end dealers with some super nice stuff. the best thing to do is to track down the repop makers give there name to the companies that they are infringing on there trademarks mobil has more lawyers than north korea has fake missile's.

Last edited by tjccafferty; Wed May 09 2012 07:56 PM.

tjccafferty@yahoo.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am willing to bet if one of those sold, another would have came out of their stash.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
they are the two guys that have all the railroad stuff mostly heavy iron large fire alarm poles not many signs and they are from our area in MA, but your probably right one sold go grab one of the 5 others. i wouldnt of been able to tell either way except they were pretty upset that all their signs were repop. live and learn

tjccafferty@yahoo.com

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved