Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
I came across this Castrol sign today and am curious if anyone knows when the sign was marketed by Castrol and how rare it might be.

IMG-20130910-00640.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm guessing around 1995 or after

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
IMO That sign is one of the new fantasy signs that have been showing up on ebay recently. All of these new signs have high graphics and desirable themes. Autos, planes ect. I don't know what company is producing them but Castrol oil had nothing to do with this sign.

S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
No its not a fantasy sign as it was found at a distributor that had other original Castrol signs.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
what is the size?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Doesn't look right to me. I'm sure even oil distributors have owned repro signs....given to them by customers, ect...

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IMO
Very few if any companies made short term adv signs in porcelain, let alone enamel/painted. Just like oil cans were printed like newspapers, short time use.
Originally Posted By: Dave
I'm sure even oil distributors have owned repro signs....given to them by customers, ect

Just like the rest of us receiving items from friends "I thought you'd like this for your collection".

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The sign is a fantasy...

The Castrol name is not even correct on the sign...

When Sir Malcom Campbell set the World's Land And Water Speed Records, 9 times between 1924-1935...He was sponsored by: The Wakefield Castrol Motor Oil Company (Wakefield was the Company Founder's last name and he worked for Vacuum Oil before starting his Company)... The Company name was not shortened to "Castrol" until 1960... 12 years after Sir Malcom died...

http://www.bp.com/en/global/corporate/about-bp/our-history/history-of-castrol.html

Last edited by Bob Richards; Wed Sep 11 2013 11:22 AM. Reason: add link to Castrol Company History

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
fantasy sign for sure from the 1980's made by Garnier in London( company is now called stocksigns ) they are making vintage signs in porcelain for quite a time and also provide signs for the undergound

here is a quote from a great english forum about porcelain signs

"You will soon get to recognise most of the modern and reproduction enamels produced by Garnier in the ‘80s & 90’s. Manufactured in vitreous enamel, using similar materials and processes to the original enamel signs, a large range of signs were made by them, a small number of which were quite faithful reproductions of the original signs, such as their ‘Bovril/makes contented cooks’, ‘Huntley & Palmers/Ginger Nuts’, ‘Rajah/Cigars’ and their ‘Rinso’ sign. Generally though, these can be identified by smaller sizes, black backs, fixing holes set further away from the edges of the sign than the originals, thin enamel, screen printing half-tones rather than the much more delicate lithographic printed originals. Some also have design variations from the originals, such as the price on the undersized ‘Black Cat’ sign."

and the original link : http://www.oldshopstuff.com/Forum/tabid/1803/aft/198/Default.aspx

here is some from worthpoint : http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1980s-large-campbell-breaks-world-254097326

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/malcolm-campbell-bluebird-world-245332315

Last edited by Nucky; Wed Sep 11 2013 04:50 PM.
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
John,

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like it was based on original poster artwork of NF Humphries from 1928. Hoping it was an original sign, but I didn't pay anything for it so no losses on my end.

I am impressed, in person it is a damn nice sign with the weight to it.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved