Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#592977 Mon Jan 19 2015 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A couple months back I received a call and the man was interested in my SHELL sign but right away he asked if it was one of the repops? I told the man that I had not heard of these being repoped but he insisted that he had sent one back to a seller on ebay because it was somehow proven that it was.
The conversation ended and I did not think about it much until seeing this one yesterday.
dsp shell .
Has anyone, on here, heard of this sign being repoped?, and has it been discussed here before? If you have one of these, and you have some time, compare it to this one listed above and let us know what you think either by posting here or pm me with your thoughts.
Have a great day!

Last edited by Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave; Mon Jan 19 2015 09:19 AM.

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
This is why I'm asking.
I am not going to write out the differences I see but there are many.
Could they be by different sign manufacturers since SHELL was everywhere or does someone have any information on this style sign being reproduced?

I THANK YOU in advance for any knowledge shared on here or by PM!!

First 2 pics are of my sign.
Next are cropped and resized pics from the above mentioned auction of a SHELL sign.

DSCF4445r.jpg DSCF4444r.jpg __57a2r.jpg __57b2r.jpg

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

__57c2r.jpg

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here is a pic that I took last night of a couple of maps I have. They are from the same year or very close.
It shows a Canadian version of this sign on the cover and, in my head, answers any questions about a different version for "foreign" Shell signs and whether the sign in the ebay auction is a possible foreign Shell sign.

It's alarming to me that there is, in my opinion, someone out there reproducing double sided porcelain signs in the 48" size!
Are there others that they did also like a Flying A or ????!!
I have no doubt that the seller of the above listed sign on ebay, does not have a clue that his is a repop because, from what I've seen, all his other items listed look good, to me in my opinion, but how many of those are out there and who has been stung already by them???!!

What are your thoughts, 220+ viewers?? I've only had one response by pm about this.
Thanx in advance for your input!

DSCF4979ar.jpg
Last edited by Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave; Thu Jan 22 2015 12:27 PM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What's the question?

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hello,
I did not know that anyone was reproducing 48" die cut, double-sided porcelain Shell signs. Way too labor intensive. I have never seen one, but I'm no sign expert either.Maybe I have.
That sign appears authentic to me. I hope that you find out. It will be interesting.
Dave(no expert)Jones

Last edited by Catauladave; Tue Jan 27 2015 06:53 AM.

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Real deal as far as i am concerned-never heard of any one repopping them.
smile

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved