Oldgas.com Home  
Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Thread Like Summary
Yellowzebra
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by gas pump freak
gas pump freak
Okay fellow petro geeks, it's time to show your stuff regarding the classic "Wayne model 70" gas pump. I really don't have a lot to say at this point (because I am not really very smart) but hopefully our good friend and petro brother Jack Sim will give us the dirty low down.
I do wonder about one thing though, why did Wayne come out with the classic model 60 around 1935 and then a couple of years later release a model 70? I thank the lord that both pumps exist because I do love them both dearly but it would be interesting to know why the 70 followed the 60 so quickly. They were both tall pumps, roughly the same dimensions with the same basic internal components, etc.
Fellow oldgassers, let the Wayne 70 stories, pictures, tales, ads, etc. begin!
Feel free to send me any pictures you want posted, my e-mail address is haninfrared@msn.com.
Regarding pictures, be sure to include old (original), new (restored) and anything in between. I have several unrestored 70's and I will get some pictures within the next few days to share.
Thanks and lets make this feature a great one, the model 70 wayne deserves it!

Neal
Liked Replies
by Jack Sim
Jack Sim
I apologize to all of you for not getting this posted sooner, but I have I been in Mobile, AL for almost two weeks. My brother was quite sick, and passed away Wednesday.

Wayne introduced the Model 70 this way: A NEW, DISTINCTIVE WAYNE COMPUTER.
The pleasing simplicity of this design permits beautiful color combinations. Illustrated signs on four sides provide space for brand identification and merchandising slogans. Sturdy Wayne structural steel corner post construction with steel floors of cross-members, giving the same rigidity as the famous Model 60.

An interesting sentence from the description for the Wayne 71 Displaymeter was: "Merchandise profits of only 37 cents a day pay for the pump - the gasoline profits are free."

Wayne had revolutionized the gas pump manufacturing with the introduction of the Model 40 in 1932. During the next two years pump companies scrambled to design their own computers and finally settling on paying Wayne a royalty to use the Veeder-Root. It was the "Art Deco" period and Wayne brought out their 60 a year before Tokheim introduced the 36 giving them a one year jump on their cross town competitor. By the end of 1935 is was time to design a pump that would replace the 60. Times were changing and a pump with a plain design was in.
In 1937 Wayne introduced the Model 70. Wayne called it "The World's Most Beautiful Pump."
Around 1937 Wayne started to advertise "Honest Measure" heavily. This slogan and a picture of the German Shepherd dog appeared on the Model 70 series pumps as both a decal and a emblem that attached to the side of the pump.
A note should be made about the Model 71 and the Model 72.
Probably more Model 71 "Displaymeter" were purchased by Firestone than any other oil company. Firestone was a large user of display pump, purchasing both the 71 and Model 60 display versions.
While some believe the Model 72 was an airport pump and probably some did wind up being used at airports, the pump design patent was held by Firestone, not Wayne. The only one I have actually seen had Firestone ad glass in it. The pump could have gone anywhere after Firestone was finished using them. The 72 was introduced in 1949 and was only made through 1951.

A couple more things. I cannot find any evidence of Wayne making a "short 70." It is not mentioned in any of their literature. I have two possibilities, some people mistakenly think the Model 100-B is a short 70, and the other possibility is that some tall 70s were actually shortened. But if you look at the layout of the inside of the pump, this would require quite a bit of work.
The other thing is from my own observation is that Wayne may have used different size bases. I had two 70s next to each other and one was over 2" taller than the other. These are things the pump companies did without mentioning them in their literature.

Now for the hard facts:

Run lasted from 1937 to somewhere between 1954 and 1960. The reason I don't know the exact date is in the Blue Book, Wayne combined the serial numbers of the Model 70s with those of the Model 80s.

1.70. Sight glass just above face, four-ad glass panels. 1937-1960. 73" tall, 507 lbs. Probably more of these were made than other version of the 70. Why Wayne decided to move the ad glass panel to below the sight glass on their 1948 model will probably remain a mystery.
2.70. "Extenda-hose" on cable, shown with four-ad glass panels. Extenda-Hose gave a 14 ft. reach. 1937. 73" tall, 507 lbs.
3.876. Non-computing pump with four-ad glass panels. 1937-1947. 73" tall, 467 lbs.
4.71. Display case pump with ad glass panels on sides only. 1938-unk. 74.5" tall, 600 lbs.
5.585 & 586 pump lights for the 70. 1938
6.876-A. 1938 only.
7.876-C. 1938-1939.
8.876-D. Non-computing pump, 70C and 577 are same. 1940
9.577-R and 577-RC. Remote and non-computing pump with outside sight gauge and no ad panels. 1946.
10.70. Sight gauge moved to top of pump with ad panels below. 1948
11.72. Low pump for Firestone. 1949-1951

[This message has been edited by Jack Sim (edited 09-04-2004).]
2 members like this
by gas pump freak
gas pump freak
Here is a picture and text that fellow oldgasser "Junior" sent;

I got this pump (cut down wayne 70) from my uncle. He traded me for an old fridge I had. I took it all apart and sandblasted the small parts at work the rest went to a pro. I decided to go with JOHNSON but didn't know what colors to use. I've never seen a johnson pump and couldn't find one on the internet. So i bought a porcilean sign and matched the colors at an autobody. I didn't use black and orange cuz I didn't want it to look like a harley pump. So I went with orange and white. It turned out good and I am very happy with it.

Thanks, Junior

We appreciate the post Junior!

Neal
1 member likes this
by gas pump freak
gas pump freak
Hey,

wondering if you could post these pics for me
the first pic is of a couple wayne 70's I picked up
recently and the others are my goodies from the front
range bash in colorado
thanks
dave
vintage-motorworks

Dave, THANKS for sharing the neat pictures!

Neal

[This message has been edited by gas pump freak (edited 09-02-2004).]
1 member likes this
by Lastgas15
Lastgas15
Jack,
I've very sorry to hear of your loss.
Your post with the info on the Wayne 70 was above and beyond the call under these circumstances.
Bob
1 member likes this
by Jack Sim
Jack Sim
Actually, prior to the purchase of the M&S Company, Wayne had a model 80 on the drawing board. I have a picture of it, it never made production. Actually it was a tall pump and they were going out, and with the purchase of M&S and their current Model 80, it was a natural to drop the Wayne 80 and continue making the M&S 80. I'm saving the picture until we cover the M&S/Wayne 80 in the POM.
Jack Sim
1 member likes this

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved